truthsayer asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Can the Nobel Peace Prize still be considered a "prestigious" award?

Here are the last fifteen winners. There seems to be a "pattern" developing or am I wrong?

2009 - Barack Obama

2008 - Martti Ahtisaari

2007 - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Al Gore

2006 - Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank

2005 - International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei

2004 - Wangari Maathai

2003 - Shirin Ebadi

2002 - Jimmy Carter

2001 - United Nations, Kofi Annan

2000 - Kim Dae-jung

1999 - Médecins Sans Frontières

1998 - John Hume, David Trimble

1997 - International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Jody Williams

1996 - Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo, José Ramos-Horta

1995 - Joseph Rotblat, Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs

1994 - Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You seem to have plenty of reason to form your own opinion if you haven't already.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which Barack Obama wants: one nation under Barack Obama, indivisible, with bailouts and healthcare for all poor unwilling to work.

Source(s): I think the inconvenient truth is only that Al Gore travels around in his Giant SUV and personal jet telling people to be more concerned about their emissions. Before man, there were no weather cycles. There were no ice ages, no times when there was no land, nothing like that. Man is the center of the universe
  • veriee
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It used to be recounted through the Peace Prize Committee that he used to be presented the Prize in consciousness of the values he stood for and the accomplishments they wish he achieves throughout his presidency. It has been recounted through participants of alternative peace corporations and coalitions who maintain their collective ear to the tracks related to those concerns that the committee selected Obama for a different motive, nonetheless. It is generally believed in those circles that Obama used to be selected because of the low-degree of political controversy it could motive within the aftermath. The committee understood that even though confusion and cries of disenchanted maybe issued from the standard public, on a political degree he used to be a nontoxic and non-confrontational alternative and that inside a particularly quick interval of time those protests could die down. Apparently one of the different nominees elected had the knowledge to motive stress to political ties and/or family members had they been selected to win the prize. Another reality I'd love to factor out is that Obama used to be simplest in workplace for approximately 2 weeks earlier than the date of the cut-off date for submissions for the winner...A interval which I'm definite so much folks will agree is some distance too quick a time to decide on a but unproven president to receive this sort of prestigious award. Mahatma Gandhi used to be elected for the Peace prize 5 occasions but certainly not gained. This is not just a humiliation and a slap to the face of the nominees who SHOULD had been presented the prize as a substitute of Obama; the 1000s of participants who EARNED the proper to be known as a Peace Prize recipient, this can be a extreme degradation of the dignity and status of all beyond and long run recipients as good as the ethical valued at of the award itself. Obama must have graciously rejected the nomination. In taking it he simplest cheapened each his possess legacy and that of the Nobel Peace Prize. Alfred Nobel is popping in his grave (or must be).

• 1 decade ago

The Nobel "Peace" Prize has become little more than a joke. I saw today that Obama is getting the Heisman Trophy because he watched a football game on TV.

• 1 decade ago

i dont know who half those people are. arafat helped with middle eastern peace and al gore helped us realize about the inconvenient truth. obama hasnt done anything but make promises and not keep them. except for him, everybody else did something groundbreaking or that had a major impact.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

they should have given it to Oprah...at least she has a track record........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.