Salinda asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

I have a few questions related to united states history?

Will you please help me with these answers, or any ones that you know the answer too. 10 points to best answers. It really means a lot. Thank you:)

1. Why did changes in voting requirements in the West cause many eastern states to change their voting requirements?

2. How was the ruling in the Supreme Court case Charles River Bridge v. Warren Bridge an example of Jacksonian ideals?

3. What was the ruling of the Massachusetts supreme court case Commonwealth v. Hunt?

4. What were some advances made in agricultural technology in the 1840's & 1850's?

5. As a result of Nat Turner's revolt how were restrictions tightened on blacks in the South?

6. According to Thoreau what was Civil Disobedience?

7. Briefly explain what happended with the Amistad case?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1.) Starting with Wyoming, many states in thje western United States began granting women the right to vote. So as to not look like they were backwards, the eastern states changed their voting rights to allow women to vote.

6.) Civil Disobedience is largely the same thing as non-violent protest. For instance, Thoreau disagreed with the Mexican War and so, in order to protest and to avoid supporting it, he refused to pay his taxes. Eventually the government imprisoned him, but he refused to pay his taxes still. At some point a friend paid them for him, but the fact that he was protesting the war in this manner made his protest quite effective.

7.) The Amistad was a Spanish slave ship that was illegally transporting slaves from Africa to Cuba (by this point Spain had ended its slave trade, though there were still contraband runners). It suffered a slave revolt (mostly through the stupidity of the cook, who assured the African slaves that they were all going to be eaten upon arrival in the New World), and the ship fell into the hands of the slaves, who then sailed the ship to Massachusetts. The Spanish interests that owned the ship wanted it and their slaves back, so there was a legal dispute over the fate of the slaves between them and the abolitionist Massachusetts champions of the Amistad slaves. Former President John Quincy Adams argued on behalf of the Africans before the Supreme Court (since they have jurisdiction over any international dispute where Americans are a claimant) that they should be free, since the slave trade was illegal. The Court sided with Adams.

Cheers!

©2009 SinisterMatt. All Rights Reserved.

• Login to reply the answers
  • eddie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

excuse me? 2) Levels of learning were not universal. Incas did brain surgery and Eastern Woodlands Indians were living in the Stone Age. i'm one of those eastern woodland indians and i can tell you that you are totally wrong in several of your assertions but especially in this one. explain how a "stone aged" people could teach YOU about democracy? we are the oldest true democracy in the world and it is OUR constitution that the writers of the usa constitution borrowed from heavily. we had cities larger than anything in europe at the time as well. we had equality between men and women when you were still treating yours like property to be bought and sold. and lets not forget who had to help whom in this land. we all know the first welfare recipients were pilgrims.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.