How does Fed-Ex and UPS make it competing with the United States Postal Service?

Yet a government Option in Healthcare would ruin it for everyone?

Why do so many back Corporate Greed in this country?

Why are Corporations fighting this bill to the end?

Is it because they will lose there privledge to drop you if you become sick?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A person will come to your house, take your piece of sh*t letter thousands of miles, and deliver it to another person's house, all for 44 cents. What a terrible government service!

• 5 years ago

Did the Post Office create nationwide overnight delivery? No, they copied it and use private carriers such as DHL to do it internationally because they cannot do it efficiently. . Do UPS and Federal Express offer reduced rates for massive delivery of the messages most people want the least, advertising circulars, and carry the cost on the backs of messages which people really want? No, the Post Office does. How is delivery to every address 6 days a week a benefit when it results in increased rates for everyone else? I live 17 miles from the nearest town and I understand that it would be far more efficient for me to go into town once or twice a week, or even better receive an online notification that I have mail available, and stop by the the post office rather than send a truck out here every day often carrying nothing at all for me or, even worse, a stack of advertising circulars which will go straight into the fireplace.

• 1 decade ago

Do note how the cost of mailing a letter via USPS increases at least once per year. $1T will soon be $1.5T, $2T... etc.

"I hear two recurring arguments coming from conservatives:

1. A government-run insurance option would drive private insurers out of business. This implies that the government-option is so good that everyone will purchase it.

2. The government-run insurance program will ration care and have long waiting lines. This contradicts the first argument by saying that it would be bad. If it were bad, then the other companies would have no problem competing with it."

1. What this means is that the government, not looking to make a profit, and possessing an endless money pit (taxes) that it has access to, can effective choose to lose money, ie price gouging which private companies cannot compete with. Meaning they charge you "less" for health insurance, but make up for it via taxation.

2. Any time you add more people to the mix without adding those to service the influx (doctors) the result can only mean longer waits. Simple supply and demand. And your second argument pits health insurance vs health care (two separate things)... just like apples and oranges.

• James
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Dina is a genius.

The Postal service's core business is delivering mail to mail boxes, which UPS and Fed Ex are prohibited from doing. The core business of UPS started as delivering packages, something they could do since it didn't require a mail box. Fed Ex took it a step further by entering into the express air delivery business..something the post office didn't do.

Now that we have established that the premise of your question is flawed, we can examine the facts. The post office is a government run bureaucracy with a virtual monopoly of its core business, yet it can't make money and requires taxpayer bailouts every year. The conservative solution is sell the postal service to private business or get rid of it.

We can now see the facts and the question then becomes...Why in the world would you want the government, which can't balance a budget or efficiently deliver mail to be responsible for your health care?

The stupidity in it is incredible.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Tell me, if government can do the mail so much better, why is delivering regular first class mail a monopoly for the post office. Yes, it's illegal for FedEx and UPS to compete in those services.

Tell me, if the gov't is all about giving us "choice and competition" as Obama puts it, why not do away with the postal monopoly?

You might also want to look into the fact that the USPS is doing very poorly right now, running billions in red ink.

What you find time and time again is that the gov't cannot do things nearly as efficiently as business can.

The only way the gov't can offer a Public Option is because gov't gets to make the rules and they will do so using taxpayer subsidies. Private insurers must follow the rules and they get no subsidies.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Once you use the USPS does the governement then bar you from using UPS and Fex-ex again? does the Governement say that UPS and Fex-ex have to ship the same way as USPS or ppl will be fined for using thier services?

try reading the bill and maybe you will understand the diffrences from your dumb example. The government cheats and stacks the deck in its favor. Its just a way to drive us into single payer by making it hard to use private insurance and forcing the default to be public insurance. the government is AFRAID of competition which is why it stacks the deck STRONGLY in its favor by abusing its power and using our money.

also you might want to think about why:

Fed-Ex and UPS make a profit and operate in the same market with competetive prices as USPS that is broke? Is it that the government sucks at doing anything efficently?

>s it because they will lose there privledge to drop you if you become sick?

and a massive 1.2Trillion entitelement program is the solution to this rather than say... maybe a simple 1 page law that says "Insurers can't drop sick ppl". Sounds like BS to me or anyone with a brain.

• JerH1
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's actually a very interesting analogy - USPS (though it offers higher level services) gets most of its work from the cheaper services - first class mail and commercial mailings - that UPS and FedEx don't offer. UPS and FedEx, on the other hand, make their money from higher level services - overnight delivery, package services, and such. A similar idea could apply to a Public Option - the government provides a basic level service while other firms fill in the gaps with better options.

• 1 decade ago

I hear two recurring arguments coming from conservatives:

1. A government-run insurance option would drive private insurers out of business. This implies that the government-option is so good that everyone will purchase it.

2. The government-run insurance program will ration care and have long waiting lines. This contradicts the first argument by saying that it would be bad. If it were bad, then the other companies would have no problem competing with it.

Can't have it both ways, cons.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You think that there isn't government greed? Not even a little weirded out by the desperation to pass the health care bill? Or the stimulus?

• 1 decade ago

By charging $8 per letter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.