Rob K
Rob K asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Do people really believe Derrick Rose is better then Steve Nash?

I've seen the massive amount of Derrick Rose hype for months now; and obviously he's a very good player, and possibly a star in the future years. But I've seen lists and heard many people say he's actually better then Steve Nash. To me, that is absolutely absurd. Proof that the hype surrounding Rose has gone overboard. Nash is off to yet another brilliant season; this season rivaling the start he had in his MVP seasons. Nash to me, is still a Top 5 PG in the NBA. I never understood why people had such bias AGAINST Steve Nash...

Favorite Answer

I never understood this either. Even last year I was one of the only people to say that Nash is still a top 5 PG. I had him at #4 last season and still do. Lots of people took him out their top 5 point guards last season and even top 10 for some, but now suddenly people are reverting back. I find that funny, because I was saying all off season that Nash has not declined heavily and can still play at that MVP level. Last season they had a coaching change, Shaq was their and he was clogging the lane which didn't help Nash in his driving ability and it also messed with Amare and Nash's pick and roll play. Porter was trying to play in a half court game that doesn't suit Nash. When all those chemistry issues happen of course a point guard will look different. It happened to Kidd when Avery tried to play a style he wasn't ok with, but once Rick Carlisle came, things got better for Kidd.

Thats the way people are, they get sucked up into the flash and the hype, and forget that how a player impacts a game is more important than how flashy and explosive they are. Nash is a better PG than Rose, he is a better pick and roll player, better on the fast break, better lob passer, better passer in all aspects of passing, better shooter in all aspects of shooting, much smarter and more clutch. Nash makes way better decisions in crunch time and is a better clutch passer as well. In 2006 Nash had Amare go down to injury and yet he still was able to take his team to the western finals without his best option. He impacts a game more than Rose and is the better PG and player.

The same damn thing is happening with Carmelo now too. People have him even as far as the second best player. Its so funny how people can get caught in the hype and flash. All Melo did was score 30 points a few times, I don't see how he could leap players like Dirk, Duncan, or Cp3 just because he scored 30 a few times to start the season. He's great, but all those players are more complete and more dependable in a clutch playoff situation.

• Good question and suppose i shall play the heel in this performance.

Sure, i would be willing to call Nash a top 5 PG but that has more to do with the lack of top talent the last 10yrs. I found it amusing that a guy who was an average player for 9 years, yes 9 freaking years, all of a sudden was pumped up as the greatest thing since sliced bread. So the question is did this guy break the mold and drastically improve as a veteran, which does not happen, or did the talent of his peer group drop so low that he was able to shine? I would wager it was the latter as by 2004 the last of the solid/great PG's were either retired or on the downside of their career.

D. Rose is in his second year(as a 1&done) so to say Nash has a better intellectual understanding of the game is akin to standing in the Sahara and proclaiming this is a hot place. He is however a far better defender, more to do with Nash, far better finisher at the rim and is physically tougher than Nash. Given his lack of sample size you cant say he's mentally tougher than Nash, but i would wager heavily that he is.

Things desired from a PG

1. At will penetration- Rose

2. Finishing at the rim- by far Rose

3. Finishing at the line- Nash

4. Getting players shots in their spots- by far Nash

5. Defending the position- by far Rose

6. Defensive awarness(team d)- Rose

7. Shooting- By far Nash

8. Leadership- Wash: Nash isn't a leader and neither is Rose at this point.

*J.M.- The points you make detract from your premise of Nash being a great player! Name one great PG in NBA history that has said a C has hampered his game. It makes no sense and is a cop-out! As for your Porter comments, if the guy cant play well in a half-court set is he really a "great" PG? Is it not that players job to facilitate offense in all situations? Jason Kidd cant shoot a lick, but yet in his prime he could dominate a half-court game. So why couldn't Nash? Ahhh because he is not, has not and will never be that good! As for Mello, he is on the same page as Nowitzki. Two guys with immense talent that will always do the wrong thing at the right time. However i would take Mello over Cp3 and Duncan. Duncan, even though i loved his game, has been washed up the last 3 yrs. and Cp3 is another man with a few great attributes and a lack of willingness to improve his deficiencies. (insert B. Davis)

• This must really be frustrating you Rob, you almost never post questions about player vs player comparisons. And I can definetly understand why.

Steve Nash has two MVP awards, which he won back to back. That acheivement is up there with the likes of Michael Jordan and Kareem Abdul Jabar.

Steve Nash is the only player in NBA History to shoot 50% from the field, 40% from 3 and 90% from the line (all elite numbers) THREE different seasons. That achievement is up there with the great Larry Bird, your favorite player, who was only able to pull off that feat TWICE.

What has Derrick Rose done to rank him amongst the best? Nothing. And thats to be expected, he's only in his second year.

I know the likes of Rose, Rondo, D. Will, Tony Parker, and Chauncey Billups all make for some formidable competition, but aside from Chris Paul, Nash is still the best PG in the NBA, and much more proven than Derrick Rose. Its not even a fair comparison...

Source(s): I've been watching basketball longer than 3 years like alot of kids on this site

Me too, Rose is obviously a good player and possibly an all star this season, but he is not better than Nash, at least yet.

You can say Rose is better offensive player, more athletic, and faster while Nash is better play maker, passer and shooter.

But overall Nash is still better than Rose.

I think Derrick Rose is playing great basketball(averaging 17 points, 1 steal, and 6 ast. per game) compared to Steve Nash(15.5 points, 0.7 steals, 8 ast per game). Also James Posey can give some 3 pointers. I would not do this trade...

I hear people saying his game was like Wade and that hes gonna be better than him. I think Rose is a very good player but not even close to Nash level, and never will be. Rose is not a ture PG, hes a scorer.

All one has to do is look at both players body of work to know that Nash is by far the better of the two. If Nash retire today he's a hall of famer! What else is there to say!

As of right now no, but maybe two years from now yes he might be the best pg in the league because of his size,strength, and speed is really unmatched by any other pg in the league he just needs to work on his shot and free throw shooting because on the defensive end he is a lockdown defender

Not real basketball fans... Nash is better at just about everything... and has been doing this before Rose went to high school...

heck no! brandon Jennings looks better than rose right now...btw nash playin like a mvp