National Guard or Marine Reserves?

So here's the deal, I'm a college graduate with a B.A. in Writing/Communications. I've been out of college for a few years now and I'm thinking about joining the military, but I'm not sure which branch to join or how I should go about it. I'm not worried about education assistance.

I've narrowed it down to either the National Guard, specifically a PA Specialist job, or the Marines Reserves with a job in legal and administration; I'm looking at these jobs in the hopes of utilizing and furthering my writing and communications background.

I know that, as a college graduate, I could go directly into officer school, but I personally feel like I'd rather go the enlisted side and earn any officer commission, and therefore, have considerably more respect should I ever make officer.

I also don't care about which is more or less likely to deploy, though any info on the know with that would be appreciated, I understand there's always that chance--it's the freaking military and it's what they do.

I'd also like to join whichever would give me more to do on the home front--so I don't feel like I just joined to do my time, but actually contributed the most I could while enlisted. At the same time, I want as much freedom as possible to follow my career endeavors outside of the military while within, so I'd like to know which branch people, with personal experience, think would allow and help that the most. I'd also like to make sure I stay in my home state, not have to move because of some random job or assignment (other than deployment of course).

I guess what I'm looking for is opinions from anybody, and only anybody, actually in or from either branch. If you can, give me a good argument based on your time and how it helped you and why you think it's the one I should choose. I've spoken with recruiters from both, but now I'd like some insider information. Thanks!

Oh, and I also got a 94 on the ASVAB, so I know I have my pick of jobs.

Favorite Answer

The Guard will have a lot more benefits than the USMC reserves. In addition to all of the federal benefits that you get as a reservist and Guardman...as a Guardsman you will get a lot of state benefits that the Reservist will not get. Depending on the state these can be substantial such as 100% free tuition at state schools for Guardsmen.

You will also get a chance to practice your journalism and PA skills a lot more in the gUard as the Guard does this on an almost daily basis.

Check with both and compare benefits.

Although i have a great deal of respect for the USMC, you will have much more opportunity with the Guard. I was deployed in the first Gulf was as a Guard public Affairs NCO. There is a greater need for this vocation due to more audiences being tied to the Guard. The State, the Army and a greater number of families of deployed troops. The Guard has it's own OCS in most states which will allow an enlisted soldier to attend through drills and annual training. You should also consider bonus opportunities with both services. The Guard will promote you prior to Basic Training to allow you to draw more pay during your Initial Active Duty training. Weigh you options, It's a big decision. Either way, It will be an experience you will never forget! Good Luck!

Source(s): 14 Years, US Army and Reserve.
  • Pat

if you graduated college, you should look to go in a as an officer. Marines and Army both have OCS, But I beleive you need to be under a certain age. The Marine Corps will be more elite than the Army if that is something you will want to know.