Why does Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey sound the way it does?

What was McCartney thinking? His song, as great as it is, sounds like three songs put together (Uncle Albert, Admiral, Be a Gypsy) The tempo and timing change for each piece.

Why ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I've only heard the beginning, so I'm listening to it right now.

But from what you're describing, it's actually quite common in various genres of music to take 3 or 4 {or more} different songs / tunes and string them together under one main title ~ what Scottish and Irish Folk musicians call a 'set'.

In fact, listening to it reminds me of The Beatles 'A Day in the Life', where it seemed as though an interlude from Paul was just randomly dropped-in between the main parts of John's song {and worked perfectly}.

Though this just reinforces the fact that Paul liked to be experimental in his music...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You mean awesome? Because awesome is good.

I'm not sure what to tell you. There are different kinds of songs. There are your formula Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, outro songs and then there are ones that break from the normal pop formula and are just constructed differently. McCartney is great at both. I still think the song is very cohesive (actually it's one of my favorite solo McCartney tunes). Think of it more like acts in a very short story. They can be dramatically different, but they still flow together. You may not find it cohesive, but I imagine he was betting that most people would follow it through and enjoy it.

Think of it this way, if all songs were constructed the same way it would get pretty boring. Sometimes songwriters want to get out of the box

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm sure it really was three songs put together. If you think it's great, it worked. Apparently, a lot of other people felt the same way.

Most of the second side of "Abbey Road" is small bits of songs that Paul and John had never completed, so they put them all together. That worked out pretty well too.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you are a real McCartney fan, you will notice that many of his songs are like this. It is his trademark. "Jet", "Goodnight Tonight" for example.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

what else would you expect from such a talented musician.

• 1 decade ago

'cuz McCartney's a goof ^-^

I don't think there's any other explanation

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.