help drug interactions; can't find an informative site for these drugs.?

i have a friend who is planing to add these diet supplements to his daily intake.

>FOLIC ACID

>SELENIUM

however he's worried they might interact with his medications,

here are the med's he takes daily.

-TENORMIN.

-AMARYL.

-ASPIRIN.

-GAVISCON.<-occasionally,

as you might have guessed from the list, he has high blood pressure and diabetes.

he also has a mild cholesterol problem which he has under control thru his diet.

also if it helps he's 53 and has only an above average BMI,

I've been looking online for a while now, but so far i can't find a site that fully tells you about their interactions not just with other drugs but with vitamins and other diet supplements as well

i appreciate any sites or information i can get on the matter,

also i was wondering if GAVISCON is okay to take for a type2 diabetic,

Favorite Answer

Has your friend talked about adding the supplements to his medication routine with his doctor? He should if he has not. I ran the drugs and supplements through and interaction checker and nothing substantial came up, certainly not from adding the Folic acid or Selenium. The only interaction is between the Tenormin and Amaryl, which may alter glucose metabolism and increase hypoglycemia. Having said that there should not really be a problem especially if the medications were prescribed so don't worry about that too much. But even though my software says it is fine, his doctor may want to change some medications or not use the supplements.

And for the most part supplements will not provide any real benefits unless a person has a vitamin deficiency or a few proven examples where a supplement is effective.

Source(s): I am a medical student at a university in Montréal, QC, Canada for psychiatry and internal medicine. I have a Hons. BSc in pharmacology and I have interned with two psychiatrists and one neurologist. In addition, I have worked as a pharmacy assistant.

I highly doubt there will be any interactions. Folic acid and selenium are basic nutrients that the body requires to even stay alive - any drug that interacts with necessary nutrients in the body would probably be fatal and will never be passed. Unless your friend is overdoing these nutrients (which is dangerous even if he isn't taking other drugs), he'll be fine. You only ever need to worry about drug interactions between different prescribed drugs, as prescribed medication are not nutrients that exist in every living person.

Ya This site is very usefull http://www.medscape.com/druginfo/druginterchecker

Now give me full marks