Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What would be a good Christmas gift for an LDS (Mormon) missionary?

My best friend left on a LDS (Mormon) mission and I'd like to send him something for Christmas. I know that they have all sorts of rules but not sure what I am allowed to send or even what would be a good idea. So if any LDS (Mormon) mission experts out there would let me know of some good gift ideas for my best friend that'd be great. Thanks

Favorite Answer

Actually, you're more limited by shipping requirements than Mormon rules. It would help to know where he's serving, but I'll just generalize.

You shouldn't send books or movies, because he can't use them. Gift cards are probably not the best idea unless you know exactly what shops are in his area, which is difficult considering the fact that he might be in another area by the time the package arrives.

Still...my brother is on a mission in South America, and while that does limit what we can send him, maybe some of my ideas will help you.

First, we decided to send him a bunch of random things. You may not want to send very much, but if you run down to the post office, you can get a small flat rate box. The smaller ones only cost about ten dollars to send (it may be as high as $13, though I think you can find smaller ones). Anything you can cram inside will go for that price, so it's really not bad, and it can be cheaper than trying to send a present through the mail.

As for gifts...he's majorly into sports, so we found a bunch of Lakers gear for him (hats, stuff for the walls, ect.) He can't wear the hat or shirts when he's doing missionary work, but he wears them around the apartment and when he's out doing service, so they're worth sending. If your friend is also into sports, you might think of something similar.

Candy. My brother can't really get candy where he is, at least not American candy, so we sent a bunch of his favorites. This isn't really necessary if your friend is in America, but then again, he might not be able to afford candy on his budget. Missionaries are only given so much a month, and it's not really enough to support a sweet tooth. He would probably appreciate it.

Just be careful about sending chocolate. My mother used to send my favorite chocolate to me all the time when I was a missionary, and it always arrived in a melted, inedible mess. You probably don't have to worry so much since it's winter, but still...

A package of Christmas lights. I know that seems cheesy, but I loved getting that myself, and I'm not even into Christmas. I strung them up around my apartment and would giggle every time I turned them on (I was in that apartment for six months, and I never took them down). I sent some to my brother last year, and he had the same reaction.

Stationary. Again, possibly cheesy, but missionaries stay in contact through letters, and he may be glad to have some nice stationary/envelopes.

Scripture markers. Missionaries do a LOT of marking in their scriptures, so they're always in need of good crayons. If you go to Wal-Mart, you can find a plastic box with those long, twistable crayons. Those are perfect, and they're fairly cheap.

Also, if you shared many of the same friends, you could get a cheap tape recorder and go around and get them to record short messages for him, then send him the recorder and maybe a spare tape (in case he wants to reply). I received that one year from a friend, and I really loved it.

Anything personal that he would like. I'm not sure what his tastes are, but as long as it's not a DVD or book, he can probably use it. Just make sure it's not something inappropriate, obviously (I had a friend who was sent a blow-up girl. Hilarious, but probably not the best gift).

Oh, and his family might be sending him one of those tiny Christmas trees. Ask if they are, because you can always get him some kind of decoration for the tree if you're absolutely unable to come up with any other ideas.

I can't think of anything else, but if you come up with something yourself and aren't sure if it's missionary-acceptable, feel free to email me. I'm happy to help.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My best friend left on a LDS (Mormon) mission and I'd like to send him something for Christmas. I know that they have all sorts of rules but not sure what I am allowed to send or even what would be a good idea. So if any LDS (Mormon) mission experts out there would let me know of some good gift...

Source(s): good christmas gift lds mormon missionary: https://shortly.im/VHN4K

Missionary Gifts

I have a friend who is on a mission too. I sent him his favorite treats and candy (he is outside the US so any familiar food is greatly appreciated).

The things you shouldn't send are basically things he wouldn't be able to use. Missionaries do not read certain books, watch certain movies, or listen to certain music. (they want to keep their focus on Jesus Christ, and some books/movies/music take away from that).

Good music to send is: anything by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Especially For Youth, and classical music.

Stamps are usually a good gift, same with letter-writing supplies, pictures of you/friends, and a hand written letter.

Don't worry, if you end up sending him something he can't use, he can just give it to someone there or else use it when he comes home.

Ask him what he needs or would like, that's the easiest way!

Here are two official church websites if you need more information about mormon missionaries: www.lds.org and www.mormon.org.

Source(s): www.lds.org www.mormon.org
  • j p

The ugly tie thing is true. Missionaries also like very long ties because you can repeat a tie not 10 or 20 times and have a knot that fills in your whole collar. This sounds stupid but the simple things in life are really important on a mission.

If they are outside of the country, rootbeer is hard to come by. If he's in Europe don't send him chocolate, he should send you chocolate. It depends on where they are though not all countries have mail systems that can be trusted and not all countries allow you to send foodstuff through the mail and some countries take so long that a good box of cookies become a stale box of crumbs when they get there.

My parents sent me two matchbox sized rc cars for Christmas once. (Remember your friend has a companion) We woke up Christmas morning and played with them for a while, then we packed them up did our studies and went out visiting. I saved them for next Christmas and re wrapped them for another set of Elders. For all I know the cars might still be in the mission.

Depends on where he is serving. If he is within the US then a gift card for Target, Walmart are good ideas. Missionaries always need practical things and those xtra dollars aren't always readily available to them.

If he is outside the US however, I would go with things that he likes, are favorites and that he CAN'T get out of the states. You would know best what those might be. But just stick to practical and favorites of his and he'll appreciate it.

Money or gift cards to stores (like Target/Walmart) or restaurants/fast food places in their area is always nice.

If they are in a foreign country then food items they like that they cant get over there is always good.

edit

ummm

I wouldnt listen to jackie, lol

Missionaries have very diff rules than non missionary Mormons.

Source(s): LDS
  • Jacob

Most missionaries like treats (cookies, candy, foods they are used to) pictures of friends and family, music (mormon tabernacle choir and other church themed musics are generally acceptable) things that remind them of home, etc... Basically if you think he wouldn't mind bringing it to church, its probably fine.

Friend

A proper christmas card with a letter of love and encouragement.,

God bless.

Source(s): L D S Member.

Ugly ties. If you find a really truly disgustingly ugly tie, that is prized. The Elders get together occassionally to have ugly tie contests or something like that. This is hearsay; I never went on a mission, but the guys generally seem to get a kick our of a really ugly tie.