How come many people believe illegals should not be arrested for any crime due to hardship racial profiling?

Six agencies withdrew, and the Houston Police Department decided not to participate. Instead, the city is considering a program called Secure Communities, also used by Harris County. It gives police access to ICE databases to help identify foreign-born criminals and work with ICE, but it does not give officers the authority to enforce immigration laws.

The decision not to use 287(g) for patrol officers by both of Houston's biggest police departments stands in contrast to agencies using the program that have drawn the most attention, most notably Phoenix.

There, Sheriff Arpaio has elicited protests and lawsuits for sweeps in Hispanic neighborhoods that resulted in immigration referrals for scores of people arrested on misdemeanor charges. His department has referred about 34,000 illegal-immigration cases to ICE in the past three years, a number comparable to the Harris County Jail's figure of 1,000 per month.

Sheriff Garcia, who describes himself as the "proud product of an immigrant family," supports 287(g) but argues its application outside the jail would make Houston's sizable immigrant population fearful of police and reluctant to report crimes.

"Immigration enforcement in the field would undermine the enforcement of Texas law," he said at the commissioners meeting.

Before the hearing to extend the jail's agreement with ICE, a handful of demonstrators for and against the program shouted slogans across the street from the county offices.

In the packed Commissioners Court room, 287(g) supporters noted the injuries and deaths of Houston police shot by illegal immigrants and the murder trials of four suspects, three of whom were in the country illegally, in the death of a prominent local doctor.

Those testifying in opposition emphasized the potential for racial profiling and the hardship on immigrant families. Both groups cited their desire for national, comprehensive immigration reform, but it was supporters like computer consultant Larry Youngblood who seemed more in line with the commissioners, who quickly approved the agreement by a 4-1 vote.

"Why would anyone complain the feds are not doing their job and then turn around and not give them the help they need?" Mr. Youngblood said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/12/te...

Favorite Answer

Because those people are anchor babies whoes parents and grandparents entered this country illegally. As you can see they have no American pride, and are disloyal to this country, yet we are worried about Muslims? The real threat comes from south of the border, not the middle east!

As a resident of Phoenix, I will answer your question first then respond to the article. I don't think that anybody objects to the enforcement of the Law. I someone is breaking the law, yes take the necessary action, regardless of nationality. What we don't want to see is a state where one group of people is targeted by law enforcement simply because they appear to be from a certain part of the world. That is in direct violation of the spirit and the letter of the constitution.

In response to the article, first I have to point out that Phoenix is a city inside of Maricopa County. The sheriff's office does not have jurisdiction of "beat cop" issues inside city limits. Secondly, the sheriff has actually admitted to racial profiling, which is illegal. "if someone looks like they just came from Mexico, we're gonna stop them" -Joe Arpiao. It's not that we want illegal immigrants to have the run of the city, it's just that we cannot advocate police arresting people just for being brown. My wife is a Mexican American. Her family can trace their roots in America past the 1600's. I am as white as they come. My Great Grandmother was the first in my family to touch American soil at the turn of the century. Nobody has EVER asked me or any of my parents, EVER to prove that we are here legally.

Wow Betty, racist much?

• wiece

because of the fact cutting-edge and previous administration have not enforced regulations on our books concerning illegals. that's the pro-unlawful communities at the same time with legal professionals who make a living on assisting illegals that decision human beings racist and any arrest, racial profiling....basically ignore approximately all this rhetoric thoroughly and stay centred on our objective of having our us of a back back by ability of deporting illegals.

well its unconstitutional to act, "because you look hispanic, let me ask you if you are illegal".

This approach is not at all legal anywhere. There has to be valid reason. If in case the particular hispanic shows he is legal or citizen, he can sue the crap for being harassed unnecessarily.

illegal immigration can be controlled by EMPLOYERS only, not by police. It is the employer's duty not to hire illegals for work. Because they continue hiring illegals for work, the problem can't end.

So instead of going after employers who hire illegals, they go after random people who look hispanic. Can't you see the flaw there?

That is ofcourse racial profiling by every means

Same old story of the same old days

nobody is saying they should be arrested if they've actually committed a crime. They are saying that the racial profiling needs to stop, and by you asking this question lets us know that you know racial profiling is going on. Thanks for pointing that out!

"Because we're all citizens of the same world" "We're all humans" "We're all illegal immigrants" "No borders" "I love communism" "multiculturalism is great" "RACIST"!!!!!!!!

Source(s): I AM THE LIBERAL!!!!