What are people's opinions on the following treatments for cancer?

- Poly-MVA

- Flaxseed Oil (A.k.a. Linseed Oil)

- Shark Cartilage

- Hydrogen Peroxide

- Ozone & Oxygen Therapy

- Dr. Coldwell's Stress Reducing CDs

- Traditional Chinese Medicine

- Speak to a Doctor 1st abt these options

- Mutiple Opinions

8 Answers

Relevance
  • lo_mcg
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

There is no scientific evidence that any of the treatments you list can affect the course of cancer in any way at all.

Poly-MVA is a vitamin and mineral supplement; a quick google search finds it on sale for around $150 for an 8 oz bottle.

The Budwig Protocol - the flaxseed and cottage cheese diet - is a long discredited piece of quackery. Budwig's supporters claim that it's a supressed cancer cure (though information about it is readily available), and (hilariously) make much of the fact that she has been nominated six or seven times for a Nobel Prize for her work in this area; this means nothing of course, anyone can get nominated - my friend could nominate me for this answer.

The idea that shark cartilage could help prevent/fight cancer comes from a book called Sharks Don't Get Cancer. Author William Lane decided that this supposed fact meant shark cartilage could prevent/cure cancer tumours in humans. In fact sharks do get cancer, even in their cartilage.

Gary Ostrander and colleagues from Johns Hopkins University have detailed more than 40 published examples of tumours in sharks, some dating back to the 1800s.

So far a total of 8 uncontrolled trials and 5 controlled trials have produced no evidence that shark cartilage is effective against cancer (the most recent study, by the American Cancer Institute, found it to be ineffective for lung cancer patients).

Hydrogen Peroxide? Hyperoxygenation therapy, aka bio-oxidative therapy or oxidative therapy, is based on the incorrect notion that cancer is caused by oxygen deficiency and can be cured by exposing cancer cells to more oxygen than they can tolerate. Hydrogen peroxide is one of the things proposed as treatment, but there is little or no evidence that it’s effective for the treatment of any serious disease. In fact it can be dangerous.

Ben Goldacre of the Guardian’s excellent Bad Science column writes:

'For decades, optimistic alternative therapists have been claiming that hydrogen peroxide therapy can treat cancer and various infections (latterly including Aids), as well as improving tissue oxygenation: a quick hunt around the alternative therapy section of any bookshop, or the internet, will produce entertaining examples. The fundamental misunderstandings seem to be, as far as it is possible to untangle these things, that H2O2 is water with a bit of extra oxygen, that this can be used by cells as normal oxygen, or as some form of special oxygen inhibit enzymes in tumour cells, or produce “glyoxylide” which has alleged healing properties but has never been isolated. It can be jolly dangerous, and several pseudioscientists have been successfully disciplined for lying about it ever since Dr Koch, its inventor, was first censured by the FDA in 1942.'

Never heard of Dr Coldwell, but there is no evidence that stress causes or contributes to cancer, and certainly no evidence that stress reducing CDs have any effect on tumours. Cancer's stressful, and reducing stress will help some people feel better and cope better.

I don't know much about traditional Chinese medicine, but it appears to be mainly based around mysticism, and mysticism never cured cancer. Again, some aspects may be stress reducing and so help some cancer patients to feel better and cope better.

You'll find unsubstantiated testimonials for most of these things all over the internet; but you have no way of knowing if the person ever had cancer, much less that they have been cured. The plural of anecdote is not data.

There are always ruthless and greedy charlatans willing to exploit the misery and desperation of vulnerable people by selling them ineffective and sometimes dangerous 'alternative' cancer treatments.

It's worth bearing in mind that in this context 'alternative' is just another way of saying 'unproven'; if a treatment had been proven to be effective, it would no longer be 'alternative medicine', it would just be 'medicine'.

• 1 decade ago

I don't know about Poly-MVA

These are all garbage. (In my opinion)

- Flaxseed Oil (A.k.a. Linseed Oil)

- Shark Cartilage

- Hydrogen Peroxide

- Ozone & Oxygen Therapy

- Dr. Coldwell's Stress Reducing CDs

BTW: They have found cancer in sharks so the cartilage stuff is bunk.

I know some people who were helped by nutritionist though. Talk to them.

• 1 decade ago

The flaxseed oil ( Budwig Diet ) , Chinese Medicine, Ozone & Oxygen Therapy treatments are worth a try, a couple of the others not too sure about. As for the speak to the doctor option, if its impartiality in his/her response you are looking for, you might encounter less frustration by asking Colonel Sanders what his opinion is on Mary Brown's fried chicken.

• 4 years ago

My opinion is that the phama companies are in control of medical education in this country and non of the meds are helping they are a temporary bandage and they ultimately kill. People need to find better ways for themselves and stop listening to people that have not education in nutrition. The medical community does not care if we get better. Just look at all the problems in the US now obesity, ADHD, Cancer, etc. etc. etc. all caused by phama companies and food companies.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Speak to a Doctor 1st about these options is the only one I would personally go with, possibly followed by Traditional Chinese Medicine.

All the others are theories only with anecdotal reports that they work and no scientific proof behind them.

Personally I prefer to go with scientifically proven remedies or treatments.

In many cases, alternate theories delay the onset of mainstream treatment to the point that the cancer is untreatable.

• 1 decade ago

Waste of valuable time, both yours and the doctor's.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

None of those things are cancer treatments.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

rubbish

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.