Does anyone have a picture or diagram of a topographic map of an imaginangry island ?

i

Update:

we have to have a mountain peak at 675 ft 450 ft and 375 ft inside a star . OnE NAMED URBAN AREA WITH BUILDINGS ONE AREA ON SIDE OF EASTERNMOST MOUNTAIN . MAJOR HIGHWAY CONNECTIONG 2 TOWNS . A COASTAL ROAD CONNECTING 2 ROADS. A SKOOL AND CHURCH A CEMTERY LAKE FOREST DESERT MINE 2-3 STREAMS

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The only difference between a regular map and a Topographical map is that it is a way to show mountains and valleys on a flat piece of paper. So when you look at the topo map, you have to visualize a 3-dimensional surface, from a flat piece of paper, by looking at the codes or symbols on the map.

So just imagine that you get to design your dream island for you and your family that is in the shape of a star, and includes the description in your assignment. This is your world to create, all in this map.

Here is a 4 page booklet that shows you all the symbols you use for different features:

http://geology.isu.edu/geostac/Field_Exercise/topo...

Do you know why a topographical map is important? Say that you and a friend go to a new area. If you just look at a regular map, you could see that you are just 1 mile apart, you could say - "I will meet you there in 20 minutes". But if you used a topo map, you could see that there is a mountain and a stream in that 1 mile area, and you know it will take you longer to get there, since you might have to take a longer route to find a bridge, or a road. So what looks like a mile on a regular map, turns out to be more like 2 miles due to the terrain.

• 5 years ago

Topographic maps, also called contour maps, topo maps or topo quads (for quadrangles), are maps that show topography, or land contours, by means of contour lines. Contour lines are curves that connect contiguous points of the same altitude (isohypse). In other words, every point on the marked line of 100 m elevation is 100 m above mean sea level. Early topographic maps illustrated topography, in the original sense of the word, with the depiction of the natural, man-made and historical aspects of the landscape.[1] In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, military authorities introduced topographic surveys to record features that are important to an army, such as the physical relief, water sources and tree cover, which were not usually shown on the cadastral maps maintained for public administration.[2] In Europe, the term "topographic map" still retains the meaning of being a detailed general-purpose map.[3] [4] There are several rules to note when viewing topographic maps: * The rule of Vs: sharp-pointed vees usually are in stream valleys, with the drainage channel passing through the point of the vee, with the vee pointing upstream. This is a consequence of erosion. * The rule of Os: closed loops are normally uphill on the inside and downhill on the outside, and the innermost loop is the highest area. If a loop instead represents a depression, some maps note this by short lines radiating from the inside of the loop, called "hachures". * Spacing of contours: close contours indicate a steep slope; distant contours a shallow slope. Two or more contour lines merging indicates a cliff. Of course, to determine differences in elevation between two points, the contour interval, or distance in altitude between two adjacent contour lines, must be known, and this is given at the bottom of the map. In most cases, contour intervals are consistent throughout a map. Sometimes dashed contour lines are present; these represent half the noted contour interval. These maps usually show not only the contours, but also any significant streams or other bodies of water, forest cover, built-up areas or individual buildings (depending on scale), and other features and points of interest. Topographic maps are prepared using aerial photography. You could get more information from the link below...

• 1 decade ago

That's a lot of work to do for someone else's grade. If I were you I'd get out my pencils and get to work...

• 5 years ago

No I do not have one sorry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.