Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is god like Dr. Frankenstein and we like his monster?

It sure seems that way. Surely there are some reasons to root for humanity, but we are pretty dangerous and scary. And, apparently, Dr. Frankenstein gave his monster life after death.

Discuss.

Are you guys only familiar with the movie version? That would explain a great deal.

Wow. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, acknowledged as one of the English language's most original and thought provoking works of literature by institutions of higher learning all over the English speaking world, is not "above fifth grade level"? Really?

Best Answer

If you've read the novel "Frankenstein" you can see one very glaring difference between God and Victor Frankenstein: the reaction of each to His/his creation after completion. Victor was repulsed when confronted by his creature/monster and ran in terror, abandoning his creation with no further contact for quite some time. That is until the creature finally found him and then the troubles really began to mount.

When God finished creating, and that included the creation of man (and woman), he looked upon his creation and declared it to be "good." Even when man sinned and disobeyed God He did not flee from him in terror, but reached out to him in his need. Not wanting his creation to taste of the Tree of Life and live in sin for eternity he banished him from Eden, provided clothes for him to wear and set guardians (i.e. Cherubims) to the East of the garden of Eden and a flaming sword preventing access to the Tree of Life.

At man's fall he spoke of the enmity, the hatred or hostility, between man and Lucifer (the serpent) and of the coming of one who would crush the head of the serpent: Jesus Christ. God continued to "walk" with man albeit somewhat distant; guiding, teaching, and providing for him.

Victor Frankenstein when finally meeting his creation and hearing the monster's tale of woe, and longing for communion with other people, still turned his back on that whom he created. Remember the monster asked Frankenstein to create a woman as a companion to him so as to ease his pain and provide a "help meet" for him. Frankenstein refused. The monster exercised his vengeance upon Victor's family and friends. Finally pursuing the creature in an effort to destroy him, Victor died in the icy North (of course, God does not die). The creature in sorrow and waning hatred set himself ablaze on an ice flow hoping to end his pathetic existence.

God provided for Man's need by sending His Son to live among us and die on the cross (even with our manifest sin in rebellion), so that our relationship with God would be healed. All he asked is that we accept Him and His Son. Victor never did that for his creation. Indeed, he wanted to sever his ties with the monster after he was created.

Mankind, even in its rebellion against God, still seeks HIm; although many prefer that God would see it our way and not be so stubborn about what he expects from us. And God has never turned his back on us, even when we were at our worst. He still loved us then as he loves us now and reaches out to us with the message of the Gospel (i.e. The Good News).

From my vantage point there is no comparison between God and Victor Frankenstein, although you can probably find many similarities between Man and the Monster.

This is not a complete examination, but I hope there is enough to help you see the differences.

Source(s): Have read both works and am offering my personal observations.

I think I can answer this question but it's not my ideas. And I can't remember where I read about it. But... Dr Frankenstein, at bottom, is the symbol for sinful man wanting to be God. The original sin is wanting to be like God, and that is what Frankenstein tries to do to his everlasting despair.

• Alexis

No. God is like Dr. Frankenstein, early humans were like Mary Shelley, and "we" (I use that term reservedly) are like children who can't distinguish fantasy from reality.

Dr.Frankenstein gave me 2 points.

Yes, especially in the way both are fictional.

Goodness, no.

Quite the opposite.

Yes. That's the idea anyway.

Source(s): AtA
  • Moi

I don't have screws in my neck. I just checked!

;-)

I only discuss 5th grade material or higher....sorry