spiritually speaking, how old believe the earth to be?

i was trying to explain to a fellow college student how to figure out the rate of radioactive decay of carbon. This girl, who i was explaining this to, then stated that radioactivity is a lie, that carbon dating is a lie, and that the earth is only a few thousand years old. I am seriously is shambles, and have lost a little faith in humanity.

how old do you believe the earth to be?

i personally believe the earth is 4-5 billion y.old.

Best Answer

I still think there could be many errors so I would give a range of 3.5 to 5 billion years but most geologists put the age between 4 and 4.5 billion years. You really can't know for sure but it's defiantly more than a few thousand.

1. radioactive elements (you can derive the math if you are so inclined) follow a precise mathematical curve. It is easily to calculate the 1/2 life of a given sample of radioactive. (that is if you had pure carbon 14--in about 5000 years--1/2 of the original C14 would have decayed via nuclear fission to other elements. This known decay rate can be used to date things.

2. Carbon 14 cant be used for dating the age of the earth--it is good for dating things up to about 50,000 years of age.

3. Uranium, Potassium and a few other radioactives with very very long half lives (hundreds of thousands to millions of years)-are used to date things back into the millions and billions of years.

4. The xtians like fireball below--claim 6000 years. What would this mean if it were. It would mean the decay rate of radioactives is not constant but must have been much much faster 6000 years ago if the creationist position is currect. It would in fact require the decay rate of radioactives to be 100,000,000 times (roughly) faster at that point 6000 years ago than it is now. The only fly in that ointment is that if the decay rate of uranium were only 20 times greater than it has been found to be--the natural deposts of uranium on this planet would acehieve critical mass. At 100,000,000 times faster--basically the earth would have blown itself into an incandescent gas the millisecond after creation occurred. The fact that we are here therefore inidcates the decay rates are indeed a constant-and that the ages of the earth etc derived from these rates are reasonably accurate. The fact that the earth is here--proves with no room for doubt that the ages of billions of years old derived by radioactive dating is correct. Young earth creationism is a farcical nonsense position.

c 4.5 billion years according to the oldest rocks on earth. It could however be a lot older than that.

If the earth is only 6 thousand years old, then how do they account for the Ice core records that go back to the beginning of the last ice age, that ended c 12 thousand years ago. It is tens of thousands of years worth of snow fall. No earth, no snow, no ice cores.

There are many science fields that agree with evolution that is why it is fact, and Creationists are barking mad and in total denial. The bible is so full of scientific boo-boo's I don't know why they don't just shut up about it, all they are doing is making themselves look utterly ridiculous.

Practicing Shaman... quantum physics rocks

Approximately 6000 years old. Radiocarbon dating is good for approx. 5500 years. Anything after that is a guess. 5730 yrs + 40 yrs. I believe is the newest accurate dating estimate. They now say 45,000 years can be radiocarbon dated, but many disagree. Isotopic dating w/zircon, has too many variants.

I believe when God said "Let there be light and there was light" that all explosive metallic elements essential for life including all elements came into being on this earth at that very moment. God said, "I am life" and God caused all elements to react with one another necessary for life. God knew how to do it and God did it instantly, immediately and in nanoseconds. If the angels are light and light travels 186,000 mps then an angel can make 7 trips around the earth in a second, then God being greater than an angel can do better than that.

I don't limit God. Random chance didn't produce this earth nor man, this is a creation of the greatest mathematician that ever existed. If a small mass can produce enormous energy think about what God is when it is said of Him that He is a consuming fire and Spirit. Everything fine tuned and perfect so I can live and breath. The atmospheric conditions alone for me is mind boggling.

Have you read Colossians? I love Colossians 1:16,17

"For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and by Him all things consist."

Christ Jesus existed before the universe and He is greater than all that He made. Throne, dominions, principalities, powers all refer to angelic beings/invisible beings. Christ rules over all angels and He is supreme over them because they are also created beings.

Science doesn't know everything and I don't know everything about the Word of God, but I believe God and not man.

Zero seconds. Time is an illusion. I'm a Nowist. Every moment is Now, All that exists is Now. Besides, lets say it's a billion or so years old. When the Earth has it's birthday, if you put that many candles on the cake, it will igite the atmosphere and we'll all die.

• David

About 4.5 billion years old according to science. About 6000 years old according to the Ussher chronology. I tend to accept the scientific figure. While it is axiomatic that in the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth, we are not told when or how. The Big Bang Theory and the Theory of evolution may give us some clues to the when and how. Remember, the Bible is not a science textbook.

Source(s): Old Earth Creationist

Earth: 4.5 billion years old

I can't remember for sure, but I think it's about 4-5 billion years old.

About 4.5 Billion years, give or take a bit.

4.6 billion years old.

All dating whether carbon dating or whatever is an estimate with a plus or minus tolerance.

The correct answer is 4.6 billion years old plus or minus 2.7 billion years.