Why does Wells Fargo Bank put a lengthy hold on deposits that are greater than $5,000.00 and out of state bank?

I made a $16000.00 deposit yesterday and I cannot use all funds until 11/30. A small portion (4900.00) will be available on 11/20/09. I argued with the branch manager who was claiming the delay was because it is an out of state check (portion of estate payoff). I told him that I could go out of state and write a... show more I made a $16000.00 deposit yesterday and I cannot use all funds until 11/30. A small portion (4900.00) will be available on 11/20/09.

I argued with the branch manager who was claiming the delay was because it is an out of state check (portion of estate payoff). I told him that I could go out of state and write a personal check and that the check will be paid as soon as presented to Wells Fargo with total time of maybe 48hrs.

Is this standard practice of banks to hold large deposits on personal checking accounts this long? Or am I getting hosed by Wells Fargo Bank? Is Wells Fargo just wanting to use my money for several days?