im curious, what exactly is a pagan?

Please this isn't a religious pissing contest so no offense but please do not simply say devil worshiping heathens because you disagree with the religion, im just curious as to who or what they worship, what are there practices and such any information is fine thnx =).

Favorite Answer

Actually, all religions fit into the category of Pagan. The subclassification of "Abrahamic" religions are pagan religions that claim a superiority over all others. Rome advanced the Christian religion and radical muslims advanced their religion all with the sword and then the gun.

The non-Abrahamic religions have been classified as pagan by Abrahamics and supressed to varying degrees over the centuries by the Abrahamists. As an example, it was illegal to practice witchcraft in the UK until 1951.

In the late nineteenth and throughout the twentieth century a neopagan movement has been bringing back the pagan religion. In the UK there are some pagan groups in rural areas that practice the old preroman rituals and they call their practice Wicca. Gerald Gardner brought this secret practice out into the open and advocated it's entry into the mainstream religious community. Neopagan is the new, old religion.

We do not worship any entity one finds in the Christian bible, especially not Satan. We do personify "the Gods", and use the pantheons of the Celts, Norse, and Greco-Romans. The personification is recognition that they represent the masculine and feminine aspects of the natural world. On a more tangeable note, the earth is our goddess and we stand upon her and she gives us energy. The sun is our god and he shines his radiance upon us and give us energy. The sea and the moon and the stars have their associations with deities.

Once you practice Wicca for even a short time you see where Christianity's devices and conventions originated, with the practices they call pagan. The very idea of Jesus is an old pagan belief and Jesus is the third of the "Sun God" cults that rose up in ancient times.

Well I hope that helped.

Blessed Be.

• Pamela

Paganism (from Latin paganus, meaning "country dweller", "rustic") is a blanket term used to refer to various polytheistic religions.

The group so defined includes most of the Eastern religions, Native American religions and mythologies, as well as non-Abrahamic folk religions in general.

More narrow definitions will not include any of the world religions and restrict the term to local or rural currents not organized as civil religions.

Characteristic of pagan traditions is the absence of proselytism and the presence of a living mythology which explains religious practice.

The term "pagan" is a Christian adaptation of the "gentile" of Judaism, and as such has an inherent Abrahamic bias, and pejorative connotations among Western monotheists, comparable to heathen, and infidel also known as kafir (كافر) and mushrik in Islam.

I'm a pagan and I honor nature and believe in many gods. I believe in the mystical and spiritual, have practiced magic but don't any more, practice healing and communicate with spirits. Most often if I do have ceremonies they are very simple, but mostly I feel closer to higher power by being out in nature and through meditation.

• This question has a great [best] answer to that:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Amxtc...

You'll notice that I answered the question as well, but I left out that there can be pagan animists, pagan pantheists, and pagan atheists and other sorts of pagans as well, guess I was really tired that night because I know these things, but it didn't make it into the answer.

It is a very broadly defined term, but Kirra Blackhart gave an outstanding answer IMO.

I think pagan means country folk or civilian or some stranger.

I think early Christians used it as a term like calling someone a hick. That's what the site I read said so...

I never researched it. Basically it is people that practice the old religions.

The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary defines "pagan" as: "belonging to a religion which worships many gods, especially one which existed before the main world religions." 18...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/paganism.htm

• ?

as an eclectic non religious so i dont worship anyone or anything

i dotn beleive in any gods orgoddeses

pagans as a group usualy have the one main thing in comon, we rever and respect nature and life

other than that there are as with all religions, differnt and many kinds of pagans

but nature respect is the main 'ingrediant' and comonality between us all

fi there is anything else youd liek to know about me or pagains, ask away, i wil give wha ti can

;-)

pagan / paganism is an umbrella term. It's not a single religion. Paganism are non-abrahamic, usually polytheistic, most of them are pre-christian or ancient belief systems. Some well known pagan religions today are: Hinduism, Taoism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Shamanism, Chinese folk religion, Neopaganism (Wicca, Druidism, Asatru, Slavic, Kemetic, Celtic etc.), LeVayan Satanism, Spiritual/Theistic Satanism, Greek and Roman polytheism and various indigenous native beliefs and spiritualities around the world.

So a pagan is a person who belongs to one of the religions mentioned above. :)

Source(s): Me, a proud "pagan" (or rather a Neopagan)/polytheist

Followers of polytheistic religions.

Paganism is any other belief other than Judaism any belief outside the Holy Bible !