ok, what exactly is wrong with smoking weed?

o, before i start, i dont smoke weed. i've tried it, but i diddnt do enough 2 get high. moving on, i've asked my friends that smokes weed what it's like. and they all told me that the only wrong things are that your super hungry [aka mucheez!] and you're super horny. i know it kill brain cells, but doesn't alcohol? and tobacco leaves you with a creepy robotic voice! fish man [michael phelps, i think i spelled his name right] ,he smokes weed. so does lil wayne, gucci mane, bob marley when he was alive, and i've heard some cases that Barack Obama does. come on, the freakin president smokes weed! also, isn't weed no more than a herb? i find nothing dangerous about herbs. that brings me to another question: if people found a way to get high off water, will they un-legalize water? and i personally think that the government should legalize weed, because people are still gonna do it.

sorry so long. all answers will be appreciated!

Favorite Answer

This debate is only one of many that seems to be completely polarizing. Like abortion, capital punishment, etc. you either support position A or position B. Unfortunately, polarization makes rational discourse virtually impossible.

"i know it kill brain cells"

As a young person, you no doubt believe many things simply because an authority figure has told them to you. For the most part, that's great, because you never would have looked both ways before crossing the street. As you get older, though, you'll realize that, when it comes to social/political issues, you've been fed a LOT of nonsense by a lot of people. Vacuous statements like "x kills brain cells" is one such example.

"isn't weed no more than a herb"

It depends how you want to categorize it. From a purely botanical perspective, yes, it is just an herb. But most things we commonly consider "herbs" don't contain a potent psychoactive.

"if people found a way to get high off water, will they un-legalize water"

That wouldn't happen, because we all need water for mere survival. However, your point remains: if a substance becomes a popular recreational intoxicant, it will absolutely be outlawed at some point. My state just made salvia illegal, presumably because people were having too much fun. In fact, because of the Federal Analogue Act of 1986, many substances that are not even psychoactive, but could THEORETICALLY be converted into a one have have been scheduled (in other words, made illegal).

The absolute best thing you can (and should) do for yourself is read everything you can get your hands on about any subject you're interested in. Share the information with the people around you who haven't made the effort to educate themselves. If you're not preachy, you will be surprised by how open many people are to new ideas. Otherwise, they get defensive and shut off...and who can blame them?

I did a quick search on Science Daily (an unbiased news site for scientific stories) for stories about marijuana. Here are the results of that search:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/mind_brain/mariju...

Read any and all stories that seem interesting to you.

I'm tempted to recommend "Reefer Madness" by Eric Schlosser, but since it's a book written by one person with particular biases, I'd recommend sticking to the science for the foreseeable future.

I am a supporter of personal liberties, and I believe we live in a fairly repressive society, in spite of all the flag-waving and empty declarations of "freedom". I would campaign and vote for a full repeal of our nation's marijuana laws. However, I also understand science, and I defer to it as the ultimate arbiter of all relevant issues. For example, there are undeniable health issues associated with smoking plants, in general, and marijuana, specifically. These are unresolved, at present, but you should learn about them if you want a full picture of the issue at hand.

EDIT: Compare the nature of the responses from both sides:

Anti-pot: "it's bad because it's illegal", and "only dopes do dope".

Pro-pot: ...well, my response is all that's necessary.

Source(s): "A society that can punish a marijuana offender more severely than a murderer [this actually happens] is caught in the grip of a deep psychosis. It has a bad case of reefer madness. For too long the laws regarding marijuana have been based on racial prejudice, irrational fears, metaphors, symbolism, and political expediency. We need a marijuana policy that is calmly based on the facts. An end to the war on marijuana will not come from congress or the president, from the DEA, the police, the prisons, or the courts. It will come from citizen activism and the ballot box. It will come when ordinary people make their views known. The government's behavior will not withstand public scrutiny for too long. This war is over, if you want it." -Eric Schlosser, from "Reefer Madness"

Put it this way - Oliander and Belladonna are both natural plants. Does that mean they aren't bad for you? No, they're both very poisonous. Just because some ghetto rapper like 'Lil Wayne does drugs doesn't make it OK for you to. Barack Obama *tried* drugs a long time ago when he was a teenager - this was around the time that everyone believed that Cigarettes were good for you - but he was never addicted (and thank God for that.) If he still did drugs now he wouldn't be President.

When you are under the influence it slows down your reflexes, so, say you're driving down the road and a child walks 15ft in front of your car. If you were under the influence, your brain wouldn't respond fast enough for you to hit the breaks, therefore, injuring or even killing the child. If you were completely clean the chances of you reacting in time are so much higher.

My Mum's boyfriend has been addicted to Marijuana almost his entire life. He now has Schizophrenia and Emphesema, both caused by the drug. I have seen it destroy my family before my eyes.

I'm not saying that trying it once will give you brain damage, but the fact that it's addictive and makes you feel good raises the chances of you wanting to try it more.

• NOTHING!!!

WEED IS GODS GIFT TO MAN!

Cigarettes are freaken waaaaaayyy worse than smoking weed. And is that illegal? NO! TOTAL BS! In my opinion, weed should be legalized. I can go into a longer rant but there really isnt a point..

Weed makes me feel amazing and totally mellow. I love the feeling.

AND ALSO, it hasnt lead me to do other drugs. Weed is honestly the only thing I need.

Source(s): Mee
  • Rob L

I did weed when I was younger, it made me paranoid. I know some who think it makes them more creative.

Weed has been called a 'gateway' drug, meaning it will lead to stronger and more addictive drugs. However, this argument has lost steam.

I didn't read this but I think it's always better to be sober. When people do any kind of altering substance it seems to be because they are having problems and I say work on those rather than running from them.

Weed is just bad. why do something that doesnt do anything good for you,but only effects ur health.

And i hope the one time u tried it wasnt with my brother cause id be really piss that he actually got u to try it....Be above the influence next time or ill tell my Mrs.Pace :)

it doesn't actually kill brain cells although it is a mind altering drug

from what i've seen with people it really lowers them in the eyes of general society because they are breaking the law, it makes them extremely lazy and carefree, it makes them act very stupid

thats whats wrong with it.

• M ♡

I know right. I really love arguing about this topic! But I won't go on a rant here, it's probably the same things you've heard, or just typed.

:P

nothing is wrong with it and don't let anyone tell you different .BTW i didn't read what you wrote I just read the headline. Way too long

I don't do it either, and I never will, but I don't have a problem with people who do.