Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Will the tension between Obama and the Pentagon ease if Obama sends more troops to Afghanistan?

Tensions between the White House and senior members of the US armed forces are rising over the toughest decision the president has faced in his first year. Senior military officials and Republicans have accused him of dithering over the troop request from Gen Stanley McChrystal, the US and Nato commander in Afghanistan.

Will Obama send the troops needed or will he prove to be a president in name only?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

I believe Obama will compromise and give the generals only half of what they want continuing his policy of doing everything half assed. I refer to him as the Disaster in Cheif.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

No. That will not ease the tension. They will find something else to complain about. But, he will eventually send more troops. And more troops will die. Because that is what happens in war.

If McChrystal thinks he can do better - he should run for president. And when the troops that get sent over start dying - the senior member of the armed forces will be complaining there isn't enough gear, or enough planning, or enough back bone, or the right words aren't being said, etc, etc.

• 1 decade ago

Tensions always rise when someone wants something and someone else won't give it to them.

Obama is a black man with no previous military experience and a record of dispute with the military-industrial complex. He has recently been given a Nobel Peace Prize based on his promises. Why would you suspect this would not lead to tensions with the Pentagon?

We are only fortunate that the idea of civilian control over the military is so ingrained in our military leadership that there is no chance of open rebellion. I am sure that he will give them some - but not all - of what they want.

• 3 years ago

i do no longer become in touch with the pretend left/good paradigm, yet i'm in contract that no person seems to think of it incredibly is hypocritical that Obama is sending troops to Afghanistan. He swore all in the time of his marketing campaign that he became into the candidate of peace and alter, and so a ways we've seen no longer something alongside those lines. extremely needless to say, each little thing that comes out of this guy's mouth is bull$hit (excuse my French). With the horrendous condition that our u . s . a . is now in, and with all of the financial uncertainty, we've no employer even being over there. Yeah good, Obama is incredibly attempting to assist our u . s . a . prosper. Please. the guy is a puppet for globalist pursuits, and is no longer cleansing something up. he takes his marching orders from Rockefeller, and not something is going to alter. (no longer for the greater suitable besides)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I was watching CBS evening news last night, and the word was that he's sending additional troops starting in the beginning of 2010 to boost the current number from 65,000 to 100,000.

The only trouble is that he's doing it in small installments over a one year period, which military leaders/common sense people think is foolish because small installments won't be as effective. What the military wants is one big surge, but Obama isn't doing that.

So he's "sort of" sending the troops needed, but not really.

• G
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

False.

Only Cheney and Fox News accused Obama of that.

For the military in Afghanistan, they were hoping for a departure from Bush, and though they have received more troops in Afghanistan, they were hoping for more.

For the Join Chiefs, it's a question of staffing and not breaking the military, and they felt that 40,000 additional troops was pushing it at this point.

• 1 decade ago

I hope he is strong enough to not care what the pentagon wants. The pentagon always wants war and more troops. I want a president who takes to make a thoughtful, important decision.

• guru
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

ROFL. Ya have to be pretty feeble as a nation, if you need another 40,000 men to kill a small group of illiterate men in the rural areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Of course, the US was bested by illiterate rice farmers in vietnam. Will people never learn.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

President in name only. He needs to grow a pair and listen to his generals and NATO partners. Last I checked combat ops planning is not in the Community Organizer Handbook.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Did George Soros finally make a decision?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.