Pink Floyd fans: are PF extremely pretentious and overrated (please read details of the question)?

Pink Floyd is so damn boring. Is it necessary for them to add sounds to everything? Like the cash register, there is a helicopter on one of their songs, boring. Then they have the classroom 'Another Brick in the Wall', which is innovative as hell, sure; but not anything special. You can say the same thing for their lasers in the live shows, innovative; but not indicative of any incredible musical talent. Their music is boring and slow, unfortunately. There is no real talent in writing slow music. They produce all types of "slow" music. Now, if you listen to a band like Led Zeppelin; you will get a wide range of songs from slow to fast tunes; like "Tens Years Gone", "Kashmir", "Stairway to Heaven," "Since I've been Loving You" to "Heartbreaker" (mind you, all very different songs). I think it is understandable that PF were not nearly as popular as LZ in the 70's as people then used to appreciate real music, not like the kids today who claim to be rock fans.

I think it's pretty stupid for all these kids here to be wearing DSOTM shirts, and not know anything about Pink Floyd besides the album. Floyd is the ultimate in smarmy, mellowed-out, overproduced, self-indulgent, snide elevator-music studio drivel for people that really don't like rock and roll in the first place. Listening to Pink Floyd is like being forced to ingest Thorazine capsules in a dark depressing room with a TV set put on its' side showing a test pattern and then being suddenly told in a deep condescending voice that your parents have just been killed in a car crash. Then someone else tells you that everything is still OK though, in the ever-existing-time-space-cosmos or some such pseudo-intellectual crap. Sorry all of you elitist pen-clicking audiophiles and wannabee introspective new age spiritualists and former peyote burnouts, PINK FLOYD TOTALLY SUCKS .

Favorite Answer

yes they are

• Tammy

I agree I don't like some of their albums. For example, Atom Heart Mother seemed a bit drawn out and uninteresting. However, overall I think Pink Floyd is amazing, and I'm no "elitist audiophile". I could listen to both DSOTM and Meddle on repeat and never get tired of them. Roger Waters is a lyrical genius. David Gilmour has one of the best singing voices I've heard, his guitar playing isn't bad either. Richard Wright's keyboard work is incredible. Nick Mason's drums nicely complement the songs. I respect other people's musical tastes, but I don't know why you're hating on PF so much. I'm sure I can find flaws in whatever you listen to.

Wow...did you go out on a limb

I admire that

I sure do get tired of fast food lazer dot promoted music"we all have a lazer dot on our heads"

and what sells is what is promoted

Next you will ask is Eric Clapton the most overrated guitarist ever

Or was the Grand Ole Oprey...really originally a scam to sell insurance to country people so the hired Broadway actors to play country people....and some no name country bands

and started promoting and selling insurance....and started a Genre

But

You ???? really can't say most of that

Because .......Taste in music and Art .......is a personal thing

and some people especially men are almost fiercely loyal to their bands/musicians

...lol....another thing record companies know

So my personal feeling aside.......

I will simply say.....Pink Floyd is /was a talented and successful band

But I even got tired of hearing Zeppelin....like 15 years ago

Still they are another talented and successful band

Personally I like more genuine music.....you almost have to hear that live

Digital sound is GREAT......but the subtle nuances of different studios and bands

is a thing of the past

A lot of that died with analog recording

Every trac compressed and filled and over produced...is now the industry standard

As a band, Pink Floyd are one of the best, or they were, most of them are dead now sadly :(

All of the band members, except for Roger Waters, seem very much down to earth. They are/were good, they know it, we know it. But, Roger Waters always comes off as this big headed prat/knob-head in interviews.

For instance, he claimed that Andrew Lloyd Webber stole his bassline and reworked it into The Phantom Of The Opera: Main Theme. Fair enough, they sound similar, and maybe he did rip it off, maybe he didn't. but who cares? both pieces of music are great/legendary in their own right, and are both loved.

Waters, although he is a brilliant musician and lyricist, he can be a dick at times.

As for the sound effects, you have to look into what the song is about to understand them, not just lyrically, but the history.

And by the way, a lot of people who like/love Pink Floyd, are also into Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Cream, The Doors. They KNOW their rock.

On a side note, it's interesting that you talk about Led Zeppelin as if they are "real" and the describe Pink Floyd as "fake", it's the other way round in my opinion.

I mean Stairway to Heaven?...yes it's a great song, but Page said in an interview himself that he wanted to make a 12 minute track that would be a whole album... now, if that isn't a case of having you're head shoved too far up you're own ****, then I don't know what is.

most of their music that I've heard is complex, and it doesn't need to be. Moby Dick for instance, like one big drum solo, drum-kit masturbation.

Pink Floyd's songs are complex, because they deal with complex topics, and it just so happens that they have the talent to do what they want to do. Okay, boring topics to people who don't read into songs too much, but for the rest of us, they're amazing.

The only part I DO agree with you on, is this whole culture of kids wearing T-Shirts to seem cool when they know nothing about the subject, that pisses me off too.

Like these kids who try to appear dark and mysterious, wannabe Loners basically. You can see looking at them that they're not loners, for one thing, they're usually surrounded by a group of fellow wannabe loners...

• To imply that slow music is easy to write is an insult to millions of people, you clearly have no grasp of music. While i certainlly do like Zeppelin, they are simply a different type of music than Floyd. Its a shame if you cant appreciate the psychedelic atmosphere but thats really just your opinion.

FYI Zeppelin songs are mostly slow blues songs.

tell us what you really think--i suppose on your plate of life the only food would be potato's we certainly would not want to have a diversity of choices- your anger goes deeper than just music-- the people from that era are alot more mellow than you seem i know i was there

Their later work is a tad Cookie-Cutter... But their early work is genius!

Progressive Rock isn't for everyone...

VERY few people I know can cope with the likes of early Floyd and Jean Luc Ponty.

If you don't like um', don't listen to them... It is as simple as that.

A: what does this have to do with religion or spirituality?

B: if you don't like it.... don't listen to it. I could really care less what you think of ANY form of music..

Have a nice day..

If you don't like it, don't listen...I've got a couple of their albums, but they're by no means my favorite band.

That having been said, David Gilmour DID help discover Kate Bush, which earns him major points in MY book...

• john w

Although this is a borderline rant, to answer your question: No.