Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

good first motorcycle?

what would be a good first motorcycle to buy

• ZX3R
    Favorite Answer

I only know about sport bikes so here's my 22 cents.

If you already know and understand how to drive a manual transmission, it helps learning a motorcycle because it's one less thing you have to focus on when learning. The common saying is that if you can drive a stick and ride a bicycle, learning a motorcycle will be easy. If you can practice discipline and restraint when riding, you may be fine. It's not all fun and games on a sport bike. Even if you ride perfect you need to know how to react when other cars and bikes and trucks don't drive so perfect. That comes from building new instincts and reflexes, and driving habits. While I definitely recommend the MSF class, the class doesn't usually teach all you need to know. Many, many riders go down every summer due to overconfidence gained by taking the class.

When I ride, I act like I’m invisible to other vehicles. On the highway, I assume that every car I pass or that passes me, doesn't see me and is looking to come into my lane. I'm ready for any move that car makes half a second before he makes it.

You have to learn aerodynamics. If you get to close behind a rig, the wind can trap you there. When you pass along side of a rig the wind will pull you closer to the truck at one point and push you away at another. You have to learn all this and have counter balance and movements programmed into your body reflexes. There is so much more to it. You need lots of practice.

The first time I ever touched a motorcycle, it was a 1997 Ninja ZX-6. I rode it around a parking lot for 5 minutes to find out how to shift, then rode 100 miles home on the interstate. I’ve been riding ever since with a clean riding history. (Thanks to God) So it is possible to start on something other than a 250. Not everybody drops their first bike. You don’t have to drop yours and you probably won’t if you just take it easy.

Some people say that 600CCs is suicide for a beginner rider. That is simply not true. They make 600CC bikes that are suitable for beginners. In fact they make more entry level 600 bikes than they do 600CC race bikes. In no way does a 600CC bike remotely compare to a formula 1 race car. That is an extremist comment you should disregard.

Generally speaking, a 600 is a beginner’s sport bike. If it’s under 599CCs, it’s not really considered a true sport bike. The internet is the only place I’ve heard of anybody starting on anything other than 600 beside people who grew up riding dirt bikes. The Ninja 250R is a scooter with cute plastics. I’ve been to many, many track days, bike nights, meet-ups, and general bike cruises, and still haven’t seen one or even witnessed a conversation about them. They get no recognition in the sport bike community that actually rides. I don't hate the Ninja 250R but it isn't the absolute universal best choice for a first bike the way others would suggest. IMHO, the Yamaha FZ6R is the best entry-level sport bike. The newer Suzuki GS500F is a nice bike. I usually recommend this bike to the people who have been scared about getting a 600. It's got the power to scoot you around town and push you along the highway if you so choose. It doesn't look too bad either.

People recommend smaller CC bikes for beginners because most newbies are into it for the speed and flashiness of it and often underestimate the seriousness of riding safe. The temptation to tap into that power is usually too great to overcome. If you know you can and will respect the bike and get at least a thousand miles of practice before hitting the highway, and before group rides, then maybe you can start on a 600cc bike. Otherwise, help yourself out and start small.

It is also wisely suggested that your first bike be a used one. You may not drop it but the clutch, brakes, and tires take a beating in the learning stages. You don’t want to go tearing up a new bike.

Toned down sportbikes:

1. YZF600R (not the R6)

2. ZZR600 (not the ZX-6)

3. FZ6R

4. Suzuki GS500F / GSX650

5. GSX600 Katana (laughing stock of sportbikes) A.K.A. Can-O-Tuna

6. Daytona Triumph 600

Regular sportbikes:

1. GSX/R 600

2. YZF R6

3. ZX-6R

4. CBR 600RR

Sport Hybrids:

SV650

Ninja 650

FZ600

GSX650

Best beginner motorcycles

1. Kawasaki Ninja 250

2. Honda CBR250R

3. Kawasaki Ninja 300

4. Suzuki SV650

5. Suzuki GS500

Before you select a type of bike, first you need to determine what kind of riding you want to do.

If you have no interest in riding on public roads, if you just want a bike to ride through the swamps and forests, you should probably consider getting a strictly off-road dirtbike.

Or maybe you don’t give a rip about riding off-road. You might have visions of riding through corners on a high-performance sportbike, leaned over so far your knees skim the surface of the asphalt. Or perhaps you envision yourself making epic road trips aboard the biggest touring rig available. Maybe you dream of conquering the jungles on a dual-sport machine.

On the other hand, you may not even know what you want out of a bike just yet. Whether you know exactly what you want out of the sport or you are still trying to figure that out, it’s best to keep your options open. Just because you want to see the world doesn’t mean you have to buy an ultimate-behemoth luxo-tourer.

Keypoint is :

- What Do You Want to Do?

- Choosing a Versatile Motorcycle

- Getting a Good Fit

Well, individually, I feel a motorbike is a quality funding so long as you are inclined to position the effort and time into the recreation. I'm best sixteen, however I've been driving them due to the fact I used to be four. And I nonetheless have a lot to study. I might endorse, if you are nonetheless worried, establishing off with an Enduro. Basically its a avenue-authorized dust-motorbike. Maybe a TS125? Then transfer your method as much as some thing like a Ducati or Kawasaki. Then if you are into extra long term journeys, a Harley Fatboy or Street Glide. But don't forget, if some thing have been to occur at the same time you are at the motorbike, the worst feasible factor you would do is be afraid to journey once more. Hope I helped! (:

Don't get a crotch rocket-insurance is too high, and death rates are too high. The bike is too powerful for you as a beginner.

Buy used-You WILL drop your bike. Better to drop a used bike than a new one.

Buy at least 500cc. The exceptions to this rule are the 250 and 400 Ninjas.

Don't buy over 1,000cc.

Take the MSF course! It may very well save your life, plus, it's cheap and gets you a reduction on insurance.

Get a helmet and leathers. Expect to pay $1000 for it all new, or $250ish of you shop wisely on ebay. (I got a $1,000 helmet, a $180 pair of chaps, and a $700 jacket all for $170. Everything is like new.)

Check local sale ads for a used bike.

Good luck, and safe riding!

L.A.W.

Kawasaki Ninja 300

Yamaha YZF-R3

I would have to recommend either a 250cc or a 600cc. check suzuki India website to know about some hi fi motorcycles.

You can find many a brands in the market but i guess one that counts the most is none other than Suzuki etc but i like Suzuki the most because do have great variety to suit all your needs. My personal choice is hayabusa!

Doodle Bug

That depend what wold you do with that motorcycle and what roads