How did Catcher in the Rye inspire Mark David Chapman and John Hinckley?

Mark David Chapman assasinated John Lennon and John Hinckley assasinated Ronald Reagan. The book Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger had an effect on both of them.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Very simply, Holden is growing disenchanted with what he feels is a world of "phonies." Holden is getting older and more aware of the "real world." Chapman felt Lennon was a phony who sang about peace and love, but lived in great wealth above the fray. The same could be said about Reagan, a supposed man of the people. Holden even singles out Hollywood as a source of this great phoniness and Reagan having been a famous actor supports this (Holden's brother works as a writer in Hollywood, so Holden writes him off as a hypocrite). Both Chapman & Hinckley felt justified in what they did, believing they rid the world of hypocritical phonies. This is, of course, a very limited analysis of Holden's complex character.

Source(s): The text itself; I am a teacher and I teach Catcher.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

RE:

How did Catcher in the Rye inspire Mark David Chapman and John Hinckley?

Mark David Chapman assasinated John Lennon and John Hinckley assasinated Ronald Reagan. The book Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger had an effect on both of them.

Source(s): catcher rye inspire mark david chapman john hinckley: https://trimurl.im/b8/how-did-catcher-in-the-rye-i...
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awc07

Mark David Chapman was a Beatles fan but I think he got jealous of the fame and fans that John Lennon had. The Catcher in the Rye influenced him to model his life after the main character, Holden. I'm assuming that Chapman thought John Lennon was doing more harm than good and wanted (much like Holden's character) to protect the innocent by killing him.

• 1 decade ago

John Hinckey did NOT assassinate Reagan! he tried and blamed it all on watching 'Taxi Driver' and an obsession with Jodi Foster.

Each potential assassin's defence used an excuse of influence from a popularly contentious piece of fiction of the time (neither of which had any credence - it would be like someone assassinating Obama now and blaming rap music or COD MW2!).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.