Is it o.k to both breastfeed and give your baby formula?

My son will be three weeks old tomorrow. He was born 9 ibs and 7 oz. He is a big boy. I breastfeed him and he falls asleep most of the time not filling himself up. He then wakes up shortly after and the process repeats itself. I also give him enfamil lipil to fill the rest of his needs. He seems to be happy and healthy and doing great. I know that most people recommend breastfeeding exclusively but he seems o.k. I need opinions....please and thank you!

Favorite Answer

I agree with "Bird". I breastfed both of my sons. With the first I decided to supplement and my milk supply suffered greatly. The second I breastfed exclusively and had plenty of milk to keep him satisfied. If you start supplementing meals, your breasts will stop making milk to meet that need for that particular feeding. If you decide to supplement, but want to keep your supply up, make sure you pump, or you will start making less and less milk because your body only makes enough for the demand (think supply and demand. The more you nurse, the more milk your body makes. the less you nurse, the less it makes.)

• Diana

It really depends on what you want and feel happy with. If he seems happy and you are okay with giving him both, then do it. It's totally a personal thing. I breastfed my son until he was 14 months old, and didn't give him any other kind of milk until he was about 13 months old, so it really depends on what YOU want to do and what your baby is happy with as well. I'm pregnant with baby #2 and I'm probably going to start formula sooner than what I did with my son because it will be easier when I'm in public and also when I decide it's time to stop breastfeeding. Good luck.

• morgan

Is it okay? Well, that depends on what you mean by "okay" I guess.

It is very damaging to your milk supply, especially at three weeks. His nursing patterns are totally normal, he really should be nursing very frequently at this point. Every time you give him a bottle instead of nursing you are telling your body to produce less milk, and you are getting him used to a bottle feeding pattern, where he waits until he is very hungry and then gets the instant gratification of a gush of formula from the bottle, then he gets frustrated when you offer the breast and he doesn't get this instant gush.

If you want to continue nursing, ditch the bottles and let the baby nurse whenever he wants. When he is a little older he will space out his nursing some.

Your breastmilk is the best nutrition for your baby. PERIOD.

I am so tired of feel good answers.

Formula is not ok, it is not adequate.

Giving formula feeding makes your child twice as likely to die before the age of two than breastmilk feeding.

Stop the madness!

You can simply increase your supply by increasing your demand and feeding more frequently.

At 3 weeks a baby is supposed to be breast feeding every 1-3 hours, this is NORMAL.

Not the answer most want to hear.

Oh well. I dont want to be the one who says formula is fine and then your baby be the statistic that gets sick or dies.

Source(s): www.thebabybond.com/infantdeaths.html
  • Of course it's "okay."

Do understand that the intestinal flora of a baby's gut will change once they are introduced to anything but breastmilk. What that means is up for debate.

Just make sure you don't substitute too much to compromise your supply. Plenty of women start out saying they'll only use formula occasionally, but remember breastmilk is a supply and demand thing. So if you use formula too much, it is in a way "addictive." A little - okay. A lot - not okay. And that is provided you're fine with whatever "risk" is involved with changing the flora in your baby's gut.

You can, but you're also telling your breasts they don't need to make more milk to meet your son's growing needs. This leads to you using more and more formula, and eventually asking "where'd my milk supply go?" If he falls asleep on the breast he's satisfied. Breast milk it easily and quickly digested therefore leading to the feeling that you're constantly nursing. Plus at 3 weeks most babies are going through a growth spurt, which requires more calories leading to more nursing.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing....

There is nothing wrong w/ doing both. It also will give you a break from having to do all the feedings! Some people may tell you to start giving your baby rice, but I don't recommend it. Do some research before you start that, I would wait until at least 4 months (preferably 6).

If you keep giving him formula to fill him up, your milk supply will dwindle.

• Snarky

Supplementing formula with breastfeeding is perfectly alright because your baby is still getting those nutrients he needs from you, as well as the antibodies in the milk that protect him from getting sick. It sounds like you're doing the right thing. :)

breastfeeding is better but yes it's okay to do both