Gay Marriage/Civil Union and Hospital Visitation Rights?

My partner and I reside in TX. Is there a point for us to go get married/unionized in CT, MA, VT, NV, etc, in order to obtain hospital visitation rights (and also power of attorney, etc) in TX or another state? Or, will these rights not be recognized in other states, in any case? For instance, will showing a... show more My partner and I reside in TX. Is there a point for us to go get married/unionized in CT, MA, VT, NV, etc, in order to obtain hospital visitation rights (and also power of attorney, etc) in TX or another state? Or, will these rights not be recognized in other states, in any case? For instance, will showing a marriage/domestic partnership/civil union certificate to a hospital administrator legally bind them to allow me to visit my partner, and vice versa?
Update: OK. "USAFisnumber1," obviously, can't read. The question is perfectly relevant, because marriage confers kinship status, and under certain critical situations (or, suppose the patient is comatose, or can't convey his/her wishes, etc), hospitals allow only legal next-of-kins visitation rights.... show more OK. "USAFisnumber1," obviously, can't read.

The question is perfectly relevant, because marriage confers kinship status, and under certain critical situations (or, suppose the patient is comatose, or can't convey his/her wishes, etc), hospitals allow only legal next-of-kins visitation rights. Yes, one can obviously fill out paperwork beforehand, and specifically confer visitation rights (as well as power of attorney) upon one's partner. HOWEVER, married couples do not have to jump through these extra bureaucratic hoops, in order to have these basic rights which automatically convey with one piece of paper that says you're married. So, ONCE AGAIN, my question is: does getting married in a gay-legal state have any effect whatsoever on hospital visitation procedures in gay-illegal/non-legal states, such as Texas?

DUH.