"Pursuit of Happiness" really means 'no guarantee of happiness'?

If the guys that wrote that stuff really meant such harsh and unsympathetic things by it, why would they bother to write it? After all, if they were that unsympathetic, surely they wouldn't care enough to preserve something for a future generation, right? Notice the contradiction in the unsympathetic bastards... show more If the guys that wrote that stuff really meant such harsh and unsympathetic things by it, why would they bother to write it? After all, if they were that unsympathetic, surely they wouldn't care enough to preserve something for a future generation, right? Notice the contradiction in the unsympathetic bastards composing documents sympathetic to future generations of unsympathetic bastards?
Update: Oh yes, big giant yawn. I'm so sorry your own subject matter bores you all so. (I didn't make up this crap. I'm asking you about something you go out of your way to say to me. It's real entertaining when you're telling me but when I ask you a question about it suddenly, ho hum, yawn, it's... show more Oh yes, big giant yawn. I'm so sorry your own subject matter bores you all so. (I didn't make up this crap. I'm asking you about something you go out of your way to say to me. It's real entertaining when you're telling me but when I ask you a question about it suddenly, ho hum, yawn, it's all just so boring.)
Update 2: Response to Joe: of course we cannot guarantee happiness but we can certainly dramatically improve our odds. It's interesting you mention property as a factor but I hope you're not suggesting you can guarantee my happiness with it. It is precisely that belief in property that precludes the possibility of... show more Response to Joe: of course we cannot guarantee happiness but we can certainly dramatically improve our odds. It's interesting you mention property as a factor but I hope you're not suggesting you can guarantee my happiness with it. It is precisely that belief in property that precludes the possibility of happiness for so many of us laboring our lives away desperately struggling to prevent forcible expulsion from the property we are so sure will bring us so much joy and pride if we can just keep believing, work a little harder and sacrifice just a little more. Our pursuit of property produces opportunities in abundance for lenders and shareholders to pursue happiness by virtually guaranteeing no posibility of it for anyone else. It seems to me that someone somewhere does think they know how to guarantee happiness and it's all or nothing proposition.
Update 3: The liberal translation of "pursuit of happiness" to "no guarantee of happiness" sets the quality standard at a level that invites me to translate "no guarantee of happiness" to "a guarantee of no possibility of happiness", and in fact, since you introduced the subject,... show more The liberal translation of "pursuit of happiness" to "no guarantee of happiness" sets the quality standard at a level that invites me to translate "no guarantee of happiness" to "a guarantee of no possibility of happiness", and in fact, since you introduced the subject, I'm also going to go ahead and use that same standard to translate the substitution of 'happiness' for 'property' as a specifically expressed demonstration that those authors anticipated the pursuit of property and the pursuit of happiness would always prove mutually exclusive, and to take it one step further by applying the same standards by which so many contend the authors intended to prohibit socialism, I propose so substantive a deliberate omission as 'property' demonstrates obvious intent to prohibit capitalism.
Update 4: I point to the response from ‘ironcat’ as a textbook example: (ironcat) “Who can define your happiness better than you?” Well, gee, I don’t know. Evidently you think capitalists can define my happiness better than me through compulsory labor and the perpetual threat of punitive deprivation that is of course,... show more I point to the response from ‘ironcat’ as a textbook example:

(ironcat) “Who can define your happiness better than you?”
Well, gee, I don’t know. Evidently you think capitalists can define my happiness better than me through compulsory labor and the perpetual threat of punitive deprivation that is of course, unless I think I can discover happiness living naked in the boreal forest among the moose but I am of course ‘free’ to find happiness by compelling others to labor for my disproportionate benefit under the perpetual threat of punitive deprivation, so I do have options going for me, don’t I? It is swell and excellent that such egalitarians recognize my autonomy to define my own happiness, now if I can only pursue it without them so dependent on collecting a profit from my every breath…
Update 5: (ironcat) “… the government should step aside and allow you to pursuit that happiness as long as it is not infringing on others happiness (rape, murder, theft, ...)” Huh, funny you never mention compulsory labor and perpetual threat of punitive deprivation along with the rape, murder and theft. Is it really me for... show more (ironcat) “… the government should step aside and allow you to pursuit that happiness as long as it is not infringing on others happiness (rape, murder, theft, ...)”
Huh, funny you never mention compulsory labor and perpetual threat of punitive deprivation along with the rape, murder and theft. Is it really me for whom you want the government to ‘step aside’ or is it for you, you want the government to ‘step aside’ so you can carry out your pursuit of happiness with compulsory labor and perpetual threat of deprivation? (… and in addition, your proposition that “the government should step aside” sounds to me like you think you know how to define my happiness better than me.)
Update 6: (ironcat) “What kind of ego you must have to think that you can do anything to contribute to my happiness.” Right back atcha, ironcat. I never said I give a crap about you but you seem pretty preoccupied with my happiness, don’t you? You’ve got some pretty specific ideas about my potential for happiness and how it... show more (ironcat) “What kind of ego you must have to think that you can do anything to contribute to my happiness.”
Right back atcha, ironcat. I never said I give a crap about you but you seem pretty preoccupied with my happiness, don’t you? You’ve got some pretty specific ideas about my potential for happiness and how it might occur, don’t you? Why is it that the fierce rugged individualist is always so preoccupied with everybody else, so sure about what everybody else ‘should’ and ‘should not’ do and most crucially, so dependent on everybody else to worry about his delicate fragile feelings and preserve his entitlement to profit? He who smelt it, dealt it. You said “SHOULD” and that means you think you know how to define happiness for everybody else and you think you know better. How ironic you would profess concern for my happiness with such presumptuous condescension and how revealing you would declare your independence with such obvious and desperate dependence on my accommodations.