Itunes/MP4 format/movie/video help!!?

My friends all download videos off youtube, and they say they have this program thing which put them in "MP4 format" what do i need/do to download videos off youtube and put them on itunes/my ipod. I have a macbook pro. plus is there anywhere where i can download safe virus free movies to put into... show more My friends all download videos off youtube, and they say they have this program thing which put them in "MP4 format" what do i need/do to download videos off youtube and put them on itunes/my ipod. I have a macbook pro. plus is there anywhere where i can download safe virus free movies to put into itunes, or is that illegal? is there anything i can download that can let me download my own dvds onto my laptop, and put them in itunes?

lol thanks heaps, alot of questions, some probably illegal but good to know if they def. are :D cheers