How do I layout the recessed lighting in my kitchen?

I have 8 ft. ceilings. My upper cabinets are 12" deep and 11" from the ceiling. My base cabinets are 24" deep. I also have a upper cabinet in the corner at an angle (45 degrees?). The space in my kitchen is 10.5 feet by 11.5 feet. I was reading the standard distance to have your recessed lighting... show more I have 8 ft. ceilings. My upper cabinets are 12" deep and 11" from the ceiling. My base cabinets are 24" deep. I also have a upper cabinet in the corner at an angle (45 degrees?). The space in my kitchen is 10.5 feet by 11.5 feet.

I was reading the standard distance to have your recessed lighting 26" away from the wall -- and the distance between each housing should be 1/2 of your ceiling height (4 ft in my case).

I was planning on only having 5 can lights in my kitchen. 1 in each corner and 1 in the center. Will this give me enough light? Should I be worried about the lights casting shadows on my cabinets since they don't touch the ceiling? Some guidance here would be helpful.
Update: my husband is an electrician, but he's never done the actual layout of the housings, just hooked up the electrical. Thanks, jerk
Update 2: I forgot to add, there is already a light fixture above my sink. We are planning a pendant light there.