Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 decade ago

How do I layout the recessed lighting in my kitchen?

I have 8 ft. ceilings. My upper cabinets are 12" deep and 11" from the ceiling. My base cabinets are 24" deep. I also have a upper cabinet in the corner at an angle (45 degrees?). The space in my kitchen is 10.5 feet by 11.5 feet.

I was reading the standard distance to have your recessed lighting 26" away from the wall -- and the distance between each housing should be 1/2 of your ceiling height (4 ft in my case).

I was planning on only having 5 can lights in my kitchen. 1 in each corner and 1 in the center. Will this give me enough light? Should I be worried about the lights casting shadows on my cabinets since they don't touch the ceiling? Some guidance here would be helpful.

my husband is an electrician, but he's never done the actual layout of the housings, just hooked up the electrical. Thanks, jerk

I forgot to add, there is already a light fixture above my sink. We are planning a pendant light there.

Favorite Answer

Eww, nothing worse than florescent lights in a 'kitch' kithcen....don't listen to the above answer. Incandescent bulbs in recessed cans, can be dramatic, especially in 'special' places in your home. Can lights are directed downward, but the distribution can be adjusted by the type of bulb you use. They are wonderful!

121 sf is a really small space, and your layout seems perfectly fine! You may want to lay out your lights in a pattern that will be most effective for functional purposes: perhaps instead of the lights at the 4 corners, center a light above the sink, and another near a counter you know you will be doing a lot of food preparation. The other lights should be spaced throughout to give you enough even luminosity in the rest of the kitchen. But as i mentioned before, 5 lights sounds good for the space you have! It is better to have more recessed cans than too little, after you are finished, and you find it is too bright, you can use lower wattage bulbs, or unscrew 1 or 2 lights...if you installed too little fixtures, that can't be adjusted...higher watage bulbs will create a cave like appearance.

Recessed Lighting Layout

Recessed Lighting Placement

you need to know How many recessed lights will you need? 1- Determine the area per (ft²) of the room or space that you want to light. 2- Determine the total wattage required for this area by Multiplying the area by 1.5, which is the average watt/ ft². In some areas the desired amount of lighting may rise to 3 watt/ ft² like kitchen task lighting. 3- Divide the total wattage by the wattage of the bulb that you are using or plan to use, so you get the number of recessed lights in this area. If the a ceiling taller than 16 feet, you can use brighter lights since the area will need more amount of light.

Calculate the total required watt to light this area by multiplying the area by the average watt/ ft², which is 1.5 watt/ ft² for general lighting and may reach to 3 watt/ ft² for some areas such as kitchens and task lighting applications.

Determine how many recessed lights you need by dividing the total required watt by the watt of the can light bulb which is planned to be used check <a href="http://www.recessedlightinglayout.net">recessed lighting layout</a>

I personally think down lighting for a kitchen is pretty wasteful, since at the given distance, if you bend over at all, you throw your own shadow on the counter and any of the lights behind you will be be blocked by your body. Of course, the light directly overhead will be shaded from the back of the counter. Do you have doored cabinets in the lower part, which will be darker with down lighting, or do you have the more useful drawers?

I think you would be better off with indirect lighting from fluorescent tubes on the cabinet tops and direct under cabinet lighting for the work space. And it will probably cost less and be easier to maintain. Down light works over the sink if there are not cabinets there.

I am not sure what you mean by "Should I be worried about the lights casting shadows on my cabinets since they don't touch the ceiling?" unless you mean "in the cabinets" rather than "on"

For general kitchen recessed lighting layout

1- Determine the area per (ft²) of the room that you want to light=11.5*10.5= 120.75 ft²

2- Determine the total wattage required for this area by Multiplying the area by 2, which is the average watt/ ft² for kitchen greneral lighting=120.75*2= 241.5 W

3- you want to use 5 cans layout so, Divide the total wattage by the no. of cans=241.5/5=48.3W.

you can use 50W halogen bulbs, but i recommend 6 to 7W LED bulbs.

to know how to space them you can check this link

3- Divide the total wattage by the wattage of the bulb that you are using or plan to use, so you get the number of recessed lights in this area=279/65= 4.2 recessed cans

Discuss the recessed lighting project with a knowledgeable salesperson from your local home center, who can assist you in the proper number, layout and types of recessed fixtures that will work best for the job. - See more at: http://www.miconstruguia.com/en/how-to-install-rec...

Kitchen Recessed Lighting Layout

"Ah i forgot the full stop sign at the end of my sentence"

Thats too much details... . Do not worry too much about the tiny tiny details. Just relax and do what ever is needed or call electrician lady