yDhamsteratk asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Should I get rid of my two year old hamster?

My mom and dad are worried that he has or will contract a disease that would mutate and infect us, so it will have no cure. Jumpy(that's his name) was born in February 2008 so its almost 2 years. He has a weird growth on his back that used to be big but got better and he also had a weird growth around his eye. The eye growth made things white stuff ooze out of his eye and made his eye really swollen so he couldn't see. His eye isn't swollen anymore but it still has white stuff. He's still energetic and doesn't look sick but my parents heard from a radio station that pets are less resistant against diseases and will contract them more often which they will then pass on to us. They want to get rid of him and no one would want a nearly 2yr old hamster so...

I still think he's awesome.

Favorite Answer

That sounds like an infection, cyst or a blocked gland. Take your hammy up to the vet.

Your hammy isn't going to contract something, give it to you and then kill you all! Shoot your radio station.

If you want to keep your hammy keep him. If he's still active he'll live a long life. However if you have to give him away then one way to have someone re-home him is putting a advertisement into the vet window, pet stores etc as then it'll be noticed.

Good luck!

Source(s): National diploma student and I own small rodents myself.

There are a few diseases that rodents carry that can infect people. However, if you have already had him for 2 years, then - chances are- you would have been infected by now! However, usually diseases and illnesses can not be caught or passed between humans and animals. However, at 2, your hamster is pretty elderly already. I would definitely get him checked by your vet. He might need some antibiotics for that eye! You could get a culture done to see if it is anything contagious.

Source(s): owner of many pets

A hamster's lifespan is about 2 years. I agree with the above poster that you should take him to the vet and get their opinion. And be diligent with hygiene, keeping his cage clean and washing your hands after handling him. Hamsters are more in danger from catching things from humans than the other way around, so keep him away from sick people, too.

• hatt

before everything, the puppy should not be FOR the 4 year previous baby. there is not any way a 4 year previous baby will understand each and all of the customary jobs of a puppy proprietor. in case you prefer to get a puppy, get it for the family, and understanding which you your self will ought to take complete duty over it. considering which you reside in an house, you are able to forget approximately protecting super canines. So, out is going the lab or retreivers. in case you're thinking of a canines, get one that is medium or small in length. considering which you have a 4 year previous, you choose one that is going properly with infants. Beagles make reliable examples. A cat would additionally be a reliable candidate. try finding around on your community animal shield, you are able to discover one that is appropriate, plus you get to maintain a life. no count what you choose, you should be attentive to that a living, respiratory creature will easily answer to nature's call. customary. in case you're bored with cleansing poop from a small canines, think of doing it for a bigger canines. you should be to blame for it, only the comparable as having a baby. Plus, canines such because of fact the beagle will easily choose its on a regular basis workout. otherwise, it gets hyper too. have you ever even concept approximately having your chihuahua experienced? or in step with threat get the propose of a canines behaviour expert? most of the time, demanding animal behaviour would be fairly conquer, as an occasion by utilising changing the type you take care of it. try searching for suggestion before you establish to get "rid" of your canines.

I highly doubt. that your hamster is going to give you a disease that will kill you if you have already had it for 2 years. Its probably just getting old. Talk it to a vet.

Did you try a vet? They would help so much and you can keep your hamster! Good luck! :)

You should get rid of your hamster!