Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do you find it ironic that Christians can call Islam an evil, malicious religion?

Uhh, Crusades, anyone? Spanish Inquisition? Hello?!?

The only religions that haven't caused massive, violent holy wars are Buddhism and Confucianism. Please don't brand one particular religion as evil without proper introspection. It's not the religion that matters, it's how you go about following it.

Update:

Oh, I see, you don't care about the massive, earth-shattering wars of centuries past, you want something on a smaller scale that's a little more THIS century.

How about the guy who killed abortion doctor George Tiller?

Or perhaps the constant bomb plots against other churches and abortion clinics?

http://www.adl.org/learn/news/Penn_Klan_Arrested.a...

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/07...

And of course, there's this:

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/christian_terrorists_...

Face it people, it's not the religion that matters, it's the interpretation. Christianity tells us we should stone our wives to death if they commit adultery, and in the Bible God himself orders violent holy wars against other nations.

Update 2:

Oh my...well I suppose I was wrong about Buddhism and Confucianism.

29 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well said -- some of my favorite quotes:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

-- Stephen Roberts

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."

-- Chapman Cohen

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw

You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?"

-- Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith

"It is said that men may not be the dreams of the Gods, but rather that the Gods are the dreams of men." - Carl Sagan

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government." - Thomas Jefferson

"In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people." - James Madison

" The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." - John Adams

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

You obviously have no idea historical past, considering that Christians had been those pushing for the top to slavery. Further, your declare "Christian liars who say Islam is evil," has not anything to do along with your extra main points. And we don't seem to be mendacity once we say that -- it's our opinion established upon observations and research (studying the Quran). That's to not say that each one Muslims are evil, of path. We have loose speech in our nation -- I understand that is some thing that folks from Islamic nations cannot appreciate considering that they have by no means skilled it. We can say anything we desire to mention approximately Islam, Mohammed, and the Quran. Why do you worry that? ___________________ You quoted this from the Quran: But drive no longer your maids to prostitution once they wish chastity, so that ye would possibly make a reap within the items of this existence. But if someone compels them, but, after such compulsion, is God, Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful (to them), (The Noble Quran, 24:33)" So the Quran is announcing that you just CAN compel (i.e., rape or drive) a maid (aka a virgin) to have intercourse or into prostitution, and it is all good enough, considering that God is merciful to them, in different phrases, that those virgins who had been FORCED into prostitution are those that want forgiveness. Typical Muslim male worldview that the feminine sufferer ought to be blamed. Yep. That's evil.

• 1 decade ago

I believe we are talking about the here and now. The Crusades and Inquisitions were well over 700 years ago. Today, no Christian calls for holy war against the infidels, no Christan intentionally blows up women and children in the name of their god, no Christian stones to death victims of rape, no true Christians support directly or indirectly the violent acts of one who calls themselves Christian, etc. Do you see a difference between the two religions?

• "It's not the religion that matters, it's how you go about following it." Which is why I do not go to church.

The war between England & Ireland is do to religion; almost all wars for the past 2,000 years are due to religion.

However, ever since Muslims (your Islam) came into being, it has tried to eradicate Jews & Christians.

That is a historic fact.

Now we have a Muslim President & a Muslim psychiatrist who shot soldiers in cold blood.

That is why people feel that Muslims are evil

Just like the majority of Americans feel Mexicans are evil: because they sneak across the border, get food stamps, free housing, social security, the works, and never do anything for their goodies.

We have an old saying, "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is a duck."

If Muslims/Islamists don't want to be called "evil, malicious" they could straighten up and fly right. I have studied the Torah, the Koran, the Bible, Daoism, Confuciousism, Buddhism and the rest.

You are wrong about Buddhism not being involved in "holy wars" (strange, isn't it? That is a Muslim expression; Christians & Jews don't have "holy wars".)

If your point is that there are good/bad Muslims, good/bad Christians, etc., I agree with you.

Source(s): life; history; religious studies
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Buddhism and Confucianism have plenty to answer for too. The massacre of Christians and Muslims in Burma, the persecutions of the Tamils in Sri Lanka, and the violence against Han Chinese in Tibet can all be laid at the door of Buddhism. Confucianism is deeply oppressive of women, far more so than Islam. No religion or religious philosophy is guiltless.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You are right but Christianity gave up its barbarism when the history of men gave up barbarism a couple of hundred years ago. Islam is the only religion stuck in the past and are medieval and ruthless. You left out Judaism, they were never that violent, everyone picks on them.

Hortense: I don't see the Israel conflict thing as religious, that's more of nationalism now, there is a huge Orthodox Jewish group in Israel who hates the Israeli government because they think they are making a religious area unstable. Also the Muslims are doing it for mostly nationalism. But the Muslims deserve it because before Israel was created in 1948 they have been harrassing the Jews in that area. Look it up if you don't believe but perhaps ur a smart guy and knowthat already. And as for the Bible, how many times did the Romans mess with them and the Babylonians.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Those intolerant Christians from the Crusades saved Europe from total annihilation you loon

Otherwise you would be living under radical Islam and Sharia law as we speak ... you don't know ANYTHING do YOU ? You DO know that radical Muslims conquered Middle East , North Africa , Central Asia and Eastern Europe ?

The Crusades weren't that Christians one day lost their freakin marbles and started '' Crusading '' ( as much as you'd LOVE to think that ) ... radical Muslims conquered from 700 A.D. until 1099 A.D. and in 1099 A.D. Christians had enough and finally lost their minds ( after nealy 400 years of watching them conquering lands )

In 1099 A.D. the radicals conquered JERUSALEM

Jerusalem , Israel

The Spanish Inquisition only killed less than 100 000 people ( and I am not approving the Spanish Inquisition )

Note - I am highlighting RADICAL Muslims okay

Source(s): No I don't find it that ironic ... more like somewhat ironic What I do find ironic is how you think that the Crusades were all bad )= Some of it was bad ... some of it was good
  • 150 Million dead last century alone. Atheistic communism anyone ?

Number killed during the spanish inquisition: 2,000.

hmmm. Quite a comparison there.

God bless.

You might be an atheist or liberl IF ?

1. You think that the Spanish Inquisition killed millions (or at least hundreds of thousands), even though the population of all of Spain at the time of the Inquisition was only about five million, and the actual total killed numbers about 2000. When informed of this, you accuse the informer of belittling or being insensitive to the deaths of 2000 individuals.

2.You bring up the alleged 'horrors' of the Spanish Inquisition to show how evil the church is. When shown that the SI was not the horror that it was painted to be, you switch gears and ask if the believer notes this because they think people are justified to feel moral revulsion with the Spanish Inquisition as it is commonly understood.

3. You contend that no war in history has ever been created by non-belief. Yet, when you are told that 176 million people lost their lives in wars during the last century, created by non-believers like Stalin, Lenin, Mao and Hitler, to name only a few, you reply that those wars fought were fought in the name of ideology and not ‘atheism’ because atheists “don’t fly planes into buildings or start wars.”

4.You accept (and quote back to Christians) any number of works that say Jesus wasn’t the Son of God and call them “honest”, “thought-provoking”, and “scholarly” proof, even when they completely contradict each other and come to completely different conclusions. You believe that when our forefathers were framing the Constitution, they were staunch deists; but when they were beating their slaves, they were Bible-believing Christians.

5. You think that the Declaration of Independence is unconstitutional because it mentions “The Creator”. On that basis, you think that the Declaration of Independence is therefore void and the United States should return to British rule.

6. When it is returned to British rule, you plan to go straight to London and tell those Brits that having the Anglican church as a state church violates the constitutional separation of church and state.

• 1 decade ago

That is true.

We Christians were once in dark ages and had lots of fundamentalism and insanity running free among us centuries ago. But we have passed all that and now religion is a small percentage of our lives. We are ok, now.

But sadly, there are still Christian fundamentalists and extremists who are still living in the dark ages or in Victorian times (19th century) preaching a discourse of hate and puritanism... and talking about a morality they do not follow.

They are hypocrites.

Islam on the other side, is yet to do the MAJOR important step of separating religion from state... and religion from personal life.

So you are right: we also had our Taliban moments in the past (and still have them today).

We should fight one just as hard as we fight the other.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you bother to learn the facts instead of listening to the ignorant screaming of Muslim fanatics you'd know that the crusades were a response to Muslim invasions of Europe (they weren't successfully driven out until 1492) and slaughtering Christian's who attempted to visit holy sights in the Middle East. The Middle East was Christian before it was Muslim, it was Muslim by the Crusades because they slaughtered the Christians living there.

Christianity is a religion of peace that has been continuously perverted by those in power for their own purposes, but Islam is inherently violent. Jesus preached peace and lived it, Mohamed preached peace and put all those who opposed him to death.

The Muslim invasion of Spain was in 711. The Reconquista began in 718. The First Crusade began in 1095, nearly 400 years later. Christianity became militant out of necessity to survive Muslim aggression. Prior to that it was a pacifistic religion, to the point where soldiers were denied holy sacraments.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Are you saying islam is not an evil, malicious religion or trying to justify the way they act by bringing up distant acts by others. LIVE IN THE PRESENT PLEASE. Besides muslims have killed hundreds of times more people all over the world than the examples you give.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.