Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

what are braces like?

I am really scared cos i am going to the ortho in like a week to see what kind of braces i will need (i am on privite treatment).what is the treatment likeand the braces (probably fixed)

Favorite Answer

Hey. I've had my braces on for about a year and a half. Are you going to get some teeth out first?

But anywayz, when you first get them put in, they will hurt quite alot. For me, the pain increased slightly as time went on, but will continue to hurt for about a week until you can actually properly eat food. Bear in mind too, it hurts even if you try drinking with a straw...

Mainly, eating hard, solid foods will hurt (chocolate, apples, biscuits etc) (and stay away from caramel and toffee)

Your orthodontist will tell you exactly what you can/can't eat. Oh, and if you love bubblegum/chewing gum, I'll have to say you can't have it at all. I know some people have tried it, but it will get stuck in their braces, and will be hard to get out. So although I love it, I've never attempted.

When you get your braces in, and you go to reception to hand the form in (if you do that..) you will be given a braces kit. It will contain: mouthwash, brace wax (wax to put over the braces if they are rubbing on your lip or cheek) a special toothbrush which has two on either end. On one end, there will be an ordinary toothbrush, and another will have a smaller one. Use this small one to get rid of any food stuck between the braces. I recommend you use this, as it will help prevent the gum lapsing and going over the braces. After every time you put that little brush in your mouth take the food out of it (i know its gross, but it is worth it) and then continue until you've got all the way around your mouth. Then use the normal toothbrush and do your teeth as you usually would do. You also are given a set of small, twisty brush things to use during the day to get the food out (after a meal for instance-but for me, I found it tricky to use, and it didn't really do anything) You may get other things, but off the top of my head, that's what I got...so take care while brushing, because with me, my orthodontist told me my brushing was very good, so please do as much as you can with it.

Also, whenever you get your braces tightened or adjusted, it will hurt for a few hours after, but every time it will get easier. Good luck!

Aw seriously don't worry! Getting them on isn't sore atall, although that night they do ache abit so make sure and get some painkillers, and remember there gonna be sore for a while because they are moving your teeth! Also, the first few days the two front teeth are sore to touch and ache but that soon goes, the first week your teeth be sore to bite things, and food gets stuck, and your lips stick out because you feel you need to cover the braces, but after a week you'll be well used to them :) good luck xx

i've had my braces for about 5 days now. my teeth have already moved and people say they look a lot better. my teeth don't hurt unless i'm eating. but there will be a lot of soars in your mouth... ask for extra wax. i sure wish i did. haha. but it'll be ok. once theyre on they are on. and you get used to them and it won't take but a couple of days.

i wish you good luck!

Hope this link helps you with all information regarding braces. Check out http://sites.google.com/site/dentalinfosite/braces