How do i recover files deleted from external hard drive on usb port?

i thought i was just emptying the recycle bin of the external hard drive but it deleted all my files i was trying to back up on both my pc and the external hard drive
Update: thanks to all who responded. the old "fact" that once you empty the recycle bin your files are no longer there is now proven false. i found an excellent recovery program called Pandora Recovery. i did a surface scan of my recycle bin and the program found over 30,000 files that had been deleted since the... show more thanks to all who responded. the old "fact" that once you empty the recycle bin your files are no longer there is now proven false. i found an excellent recovery program called Pandora Recovery. i did a surface scan of my recycle bin and the program found over 30,000 files that had been deleted since the pc was new, apparently everything i had ever deleted. it even gave a % of overwrite on the files so you can decide which you want to recover. you will need to download, "free", the program to a second hard drive and scan your original and after recovery save to the second hard drive. it is a very easy program to follow.