promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how do i recover files deleted from external hard drive on usb port?

i thought i was just emptying the recycle bin of the external hard drive but it deleted all my files i was trying to back up on both my pc and the external hard drive

Update:

thanks to all who responded. the old "fact" that once you empty the recycle bin your files are no longer there is now proven false. i found an excellent recovery program called Pandora Recovery. i did a surface scan of my recycle bin and the program found over 30,000 files that had been deleted since the pc was new, apparently everything i had ever deleted. it even gave a % of overwrite on the files so you can decide which you want to recover. you will need to download, "free", the program to a second hard drive and scan your original and after recovery save to the second hard drive. it is a very easy program to follow.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Peter
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To maximise your chances of recovering the file, do not use the external hard drive anymore for now. Do not write data to it.

Download recover software, recommended one is asoftech photo recovery (simply because i was using it and it worked)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

The most effective way to get back deleted files from external hard drive on usb port is to download an external hard drive data recovery software. Try some recovery programs to see if your files can be found and then achieve recovery. Recommend you to have a try of Asoftech data recovery.

http://goo.gl/MNWGH

Just download and install this program on your computer. Connect your external drive, open the data recovery program, select the external drive and start scan process to see if your files can be found and then perform recovery. It works even after emptying the recycle bin.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Shouldn't be a problem to recover deleted files from a USB drive....

You can often successfully recover deleted files from a PC, extgernal USB drive, camera memory card or USB Memory stick, it just depends on what’s happened since the files were deleted.

When you delete files the data itself isn’t deleted, just the index entry that says where the data for those files is located. The space containing the deleted files is also now marked as free space so it is available to the system for any new files to be written there instead.

If and when that happens, then it becomes too late to recover your deleted files so it is very, very important to not save any new files or data to the device concerned.

If the deleted files are on your PC, use another PC to browse the internet for a solution as internet browsing causes lots of temporary files to get written to the disk.

Download any file recovery software, for example, to a memory stick, plug that in the computer with the deleted files and run it from there.

If the deleted files are on a memory card or USB memory stick, just don’t save any new files to it.

One of the easiest ways to see if you can recover deleted files is to try some file recovery software. There are many such products available, both commercial and free – also of varying quality!

A good tip is to try the free demo version of a good commercial product that will scan the device for deleted files and show you exactly what files can be recovered.

At least that will show you if you can recover the deleted files at all or if it’s too late already. You can find more useful information on file recovery at http://www.getdeletedfilesback.com/index1.html

• 1 decade ago

your files are okay as long as you haven't formatted or used the hard drive for other files.

Invest in FileRecovery PRO - I have used it to recover over 80% of data that was deleted off a non-Flash external drive by a malicious P2P program. Download the trial from http://www.lc-tech.com/demo/frprodemo.html and it will check the recoverability of the files. If the directories are still intact and reports high recoverability, purchase the licensed version, and save that on a DVD.

Note: PC Inspector File Recovery 4.0 uses an older version of FileRecovery Pro's recovery engine. It works great, but if you are still missing data, try LC-Tech's product which covers more forms of data loss.

RecoverMyFiles mentioned below was my old choice, as well as Recover4All, but I had stopped using them as they do not recover the directory structure, just the files themselves. If you have thousands of files, it would be a huge mess to recover them without the directory structure. FileRecoveryPro rebuilds directory structures of the lost files.

Source(s): Data loss experiences and testing of many recovery programs.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Yes, you can. firstly, do not write any new files to the external hard drive in case the deleted pictures were overwritten. then a photo recovery program is needed. I recommend you use 001 Picture Recovery,

easy to use with omnipotent function. Once external hard drive was detected by PC, Use 001 Picture Recovery to scan it. and then you can see lost data appeared in the task list. click "recovery" to recover deleted pictures

http://www.001-software.com/resource/restore-exter...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can try to recover your files from external HD and PC with Easy Drive Data Recovery software:

http://www.munsoft.com/EasyDriveDataRecovery/

It uses unique modern algorithms to recover files that other software either recovers incorrectly or is unable to detect.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am sorry but you cannot recover your data anymore because it is now "dumped" in the Master Bin.

Even if you back-up your pc it still wont come back.

Maybe if you have a recyclers virus then you wouldn't be asking this question anymore because you can just click recover in the virus and it should be already there.

I'm sorry...

I hope your data wasn't that important...

• 1 decade ago

here's a great free software that will recover everything for ya.

PC Inspector File Recovery 4.0

http://www.filehippo.com/download_file_recovery/

• 1 decade ago

I think you may try this: Anyfound data recovery. It support recovery almost all deleted files.It's the best one I have used, I wish it will help u : )

Download it from here:

http://www.anyfounddatarecovery.com/AnyFoundDataRe...

Source(s): My experience
  • 1 decade ago

download some standard data recovery software using torrentz.com and try to restore the data... try out a few of them. at least one should work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.