Rootkit? or Malware I can't find a way to remove it from my computer. Please Help?

my desktop is used as the family computer and 'somehow' my computer picked up a root-kit, or adware, or malware?

Anyways any time I pull up a new browser window or click on a link, or my mother looks for recipes it will pull up a completely separate browser window of advertisements. It's mostly an annoyance but it's starting to frag my browser- I'll right click close on the ad browser and firefox does everything except crash - it's weird. Actually let me rephrase that, it does crash just in weird fashion because I have to restore the session.

I run BOTH avast and avg free versions, and I use Firefox on Windows XP. Avast caught something but quarantining it doesn't take care of the problem, I tried blocking the ad link (it pulls up others every time).

I don't have money right now to buy some product (trying to find another job) so does anyone know of some freeware or shareware companies I can use?

here's what Avast says in the Vault:

xa.tmp ----------- system 32 (i hate windows 32)-------window 32 root kit.

I don't know if this is the thing causing the problems but I have three old windows 32's I have in quarantine but can't get rid of.

(Plus can anyone give me easy to understand instructions on stopping those types of infections? I believe it's possible to rename the folder to prevent?)

I am not completely ignorant when it comes to computers, but I've only had classes like excel and word, so please I can really do without people flaming me for asking. I try to maintain my computer as best as I can. I can wipe it manually if someone can tell me how using laymen terms if there isn't freeware for it. Obviously I won't follow any links without checking them first.

Aznboy - thanks, you gave me the info I was looking for and I tried it. I like it but it didn’t take of the problem. I think something else I tried did. However I do plan to keep using it.

Double R - Cool icon, btw, and thank for your info. I plan to check some of them out later.

Jasper - Once again I’m going to continue using malwarebytes, so thank for that info, but I am unsure why I can’t run AVG and Avast both? I know sometimes programs will fight to be the primary program but I haven’t hard that problem and it seems that if one misses something the other will usually catch it. AVG missed my windows 32’s but avast caught them, though it couldn‘t totally erase them. I think I will keep the double protection.

Jordan - thanks.

Pheblob - thanks, um, I’m not exactly comfortable with doing that but thanks. I will bug my computer friend for more info next time we talk.

Favorite Answer

use malwarebytes best virus protector ever scans and deletes

even the free version deletes viruses

have fun

Source(s): malwarebytes.org

About all I can suggest is that if you haven't tried running your anti-malware in Safe Mode With Networking, that might be worth a shot. SMWN sometimes keeps malware from protecting itself

To get into Safe Mode with Networking:

1. Log out and reboot your machine.

2. When the machine starts the reboot sequence, press the F8 key repeatedly.

3. Select Safe Mode with Networking from the resulting menu.

4. Login. If the malware has changed your password, try logging in as Administrator. By default, Administrator has no password.

5. The machine will continue booting, but the Windows desktop will look different.

6. When you're finished doing what you need to do, log out and reboot back into normal mode.

Good luck.

Microsoft How To Get Rid Of Malware Instructions

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/v...

When Malwarebytes will not Run or Install see here-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lofiversion...

Task Manager Know How To Use It

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279351

Source(s): Major Geeks Read and Run Me First Guides- http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=3540... Remove Malware.com Removal Guides- http://remove-malware.com/
  • brad

god i love rootkits, you have to admire them.

download unhackme

its a commercial program but it offeres a 30day free fully fuctioning trial.

it will try to find it when you first install, but chances are it wont pick it up, nothing will if its a custom job.but it will then assk you to scan the windows bootup start sequence. it will compare your registry(rootkit hidden entrys wont be seen by anything) then it will compare the registry with what actuall starts up in memory.

one by one it will ask you and more often than not actually identify the rootkit.

there easily found normally, skoalkhdu.sys random file structure.

goodluck

Source(s): in my experience malwarebytes wont find it at all..but its the first thing i run all the same.

in basic terms via software reported as(unhackme) notably for rootkit,see for via google and acquire on startup,once you open your computer every time makes examine on your computer,while capture harmfully issues,asks you what you opt to do,and after which you will locate it on the tray and your computer would be effective and you would be fan with it.

You should use an antivirus program and antispyware software, because your computer is now infected with viruses and/or spyware.

Here you have more information on computer security,

as well as good and free programs that you can download into your computer:

http://top5antispywarereviews.com/

• ?

Only use one av program for one, use free malwarebytes antimalware to get rid of your malware.

~

Use malwarebytes it is free get it from malwarebytes.org.