Is Snopes.com unbiased?

I have always used snopes to check out suspicious emails. Now I am hearing that Snopes.com is owned by Obama Supporters. Is this true?

Update:

So I guess this link is lying???

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1284141

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Indeed it is, they are a couple that met while working out of basements.

Snopes is famous for its tendency to brand as “false” any “myth” with political implications adverse to Democrats, as long as they can find at least one person on the Internet who gets at least one minor detail wrong. Examples:

* No Snopes entry exists to confirm the true rumor that Al Gore falsely claimed to have taken initiative in creating the Internet, which in fact was created while Al Gore was in jr. high. However, a Snopes entry does exist to helpfully debunk the myth that he falsely claimed to invented it.

* No Snopes entry exists to confirm the true rumor that Geraldo Rivera was known as “Jerry Riviera” in his youth but changed his name to Geraldo Rivera to appeal to Hispanics. However, a Snopes entry does exist to helpfully debunk the rumor that his original name was “Rivers” rather than “Riviera,” and to debunk the allegedly existent rumor that Riv(i)era had no Hispanic heritage at all.

* No Snopes entry exists to confirm the true rumor that Annie Jacobsen had a disturbing flight in 2004 on which she believes she witnessed a terrorist dry run, a number of questions from which remain unanswered. However, a Snopes entry does exist to helpfully debunk the myth that Ms. Jacobsen’s concerns were “proven” to the satisfaction of everyone.

* No Snopes entry exists to confirm the true rumor that the Obama campaign employed at least one, and possibly two, former Fannie Mae executives as chief economic advisers. However, a Snopes entry does exist to helpfully debunk the rumor that he employed three.

* No Snopes entry exists to confirm or deny any of the specific allegations of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, who probably have more firsthand knowledge of the circumstances surrounding John Kerry’s service than either of the Mikkelsons do. However, a Snopes entry does exist to helpfully debunk all rumors that there is anything “fishy” about any of the medals in question.

* Too many other examples to count.

• 1 decade ago

While the folks on the discussion boards at snopes lean heavily to the left, when it comes to investigating rumors and urban legends, they are totally non-biased and jerks about making sure that the TRUTH is brought to light. They don't care who's side an UL is on - or against - they will sniff their way to the bottom and then print the truth.

Source(s): I've been on snopes for years.
  • 1 decade ago

It is run out of a house by a husband and wife team. I have found when using Snopes that the majority it is just opinion without anything to back it up. There are claims that much of the misinformation they claim to debunk is actually started by them for the financial gain they get from each hit on their website

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=who...

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Is Michelle Obama a transvestite

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The woman who runs it-Barbara Mikleson- is pretty liberal. I don't know if that makes the site biased or not.

Peace

• 1 decade ago

It is liberal leaning!

• 1 decade ago

No - this is just another example of a wingnut conspiracy theory.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.