for how long should o keef my saran wrap on my new tattoo ?

my tattoo artist said that i have to chane the aran wrap every 3 hours for 3 days ! bu i heard ppl say that it should be only for the 24 hours .. i got it today afternoon .. and i already changed it twice ... so do i sleep with it till the morning ? then wt ?? follow his advice ?

can i use for bed time only cuz i dont want to stick to my sheets !

Best Answer

Saran wrap on a new tattoo after the first 2 hours of getting it is a no-no! And no, not every artist knows best!

Before you go to sleep, wash it, apply some ointment on it, and get a thick napkin that doesn't tear easily (Kleenex brand is great), and tape it over that area.

And as soon as you wake up, take it off, and wash your tattoo and re-apply the ointment.

The saran wrap doesn't allow the tattoo to breathe, and when sweat gets all built up under it, and sticks to your tattoo- it's not going to be pretty if something goes wrong!

Also, if he failed to tell you this, then I'd start following these directions as soon as you can. (And go to a different artist next time.)

For the first 3-5 days, you should be using Aquaphor, Tattoo Goo, or A&D ointment on it. Just enough to keep it moist until your next wash. And I recommend washing it with gold Dial soap... At least 3x a day. Pat it dry with a paper towel or clean wash cloth. Don't rub it.

After the 5 days or so, use a no aloe, non-scented, no healing lotion on it such as Lubriderm, Curel, or Neutrogena body lotion. (I was recommended the Neutrogena by my recent artist because my skin was sensitive and the lotion seems to have helped.) Use this for the next week or so.

You may notice that your tattoo will get funny looking and have colored flakes of skin falling off. Don't worry- your tattoo isn't coming off. This is just a normal part of the healing process. Do NOT pick at these flakes, let them fall off on their own.

If you do, you can pull color out of them and mess up your beautiful tattoo! I did that with my first tattoo... my bird is dark grey with black spots, instead of all black. :(

Best of luck!

• Lisa

The tattoo needs to breathe,and saran wrap is usually used as just a barrier film more than anythin in the tattoo world.I usually use a meat pad like under hamburger and what not as it wicks away any fluids and also aloows for the area to breathe and heal properly.The only time I use sran wrap is on multi session tattoos where the client will come back the next day as it builds up plasma but does not heal which lets it hurt alot less and heal better with time....your artist is stupid and does not know what he is doing only what he was probably taught...take it off and clean it throughly with anti bacterial soap and warm water put a small film of ointment on and do this three times a day for three to five days at this time the tattoo should be healed completely if done correctly at this time use no scented lotion to keep it fresg til the skin flakes off like sunburn then your good with a new fresh tattoo

Tomorrow morning you are going to jump in the shower and wash that thing with soap and water and keep it clean and forget about it. When it starts itching all you have to do is put a little lotion on it. People make tattoo healing so complicated and it is just common sense.

It is like a skinned knee but ink is in there. You protect it from getting knocked, rubbed, etc. In my opinion, artists put saran wrap on for two reasons. 1. They don't want to spend the money on real bandages. 2. They have been taught to do this from a cheapo mentor that fills their head with crap that it is GOOD for the tattoo. Whatever.

I generally tell everyone to follow their artist's advice but I draw the line on this one.

Source(s): artist and studio owner since 1991

Clearly your tattoo artist is not the most caring of all, because you should NEVER put plastic wrap on a tattoo because it doesn't allow it to have air. Think about it, do they send you out of the hospital with plastic wrap nooooo.

Listen to your artist. There are no hard and fast rules for how long a tattoo should be covered. It's more a matter of artist preference.

Wear it for only about 5-7 hours. shower very good! dont use fragrance body wash or lotions. Lubriderm is amazing. apply the lotion at least 4 or 5 times a day. within a week it will be peeling and healed. My Cousin is a tattoo artist and I have tattoos also. Trust me you do not need to wear suran wrap for that long!!!

PS: dont scratch your tatto either!

• Erika

I only wear the saran wrap till I get home from the shop. Your tat needs to breathe to heal.

Don't use anything that is oily (like tattoo goo) only use lotion like lubiderm. and of course don't scratch when it gets itchy....and believe me it will get itchy.

Just do what your artist told you to do, he was the one who did the tattoo.