Is my only option to lower my winter heating bills to get a fireplace insert?

I live in Pennsylvania and it's about to get cold! I can only imagine how high my heating bills are going to be. Is there any other cheaper solutions than using my home heating system

Favorite Answer

Dans right, if you re looking to get useful BTUs from wood you need an EPA rated insert or wood stove to do it. Even heatelator type fireplaces with crude blower heat exchangers are only around 20% efficient at best.

If you dont want to toss money into a insert quite yet you can do what i call the poor-mans stove option. Just plug the flue with a chimney balloon and burn soy candles in the firebox with the glass doors open. Soy candles dont put out the same soot that paraffin candles do but they generate the same heat. I know it sounds funny, but candles put out some decent heat, especially if you have 6 or so going. And if you have your flue plugged tightly, you keep the heat.

If you have natural gas as a fuel source for your home, this year is the year of the furnace for you. Natural Gas is at a low price this year. Of course I cant say that about propane or heating oil. They only seem to go up nowadays.

Source(s): I've been in the Hearth Industry for years and years. Im too old to do the sweeping anymore so im confined to a showroom.

human beings have heated residences for generations with fireplaces without an insert. whilst a hearth isn't close to as useful as a popular-day range, in case you preserve it appropriate regulated, you are able to easily use it for a warmth source. a frequent wood range has to change the air that is going up the chimney from the room in basic terms like a hearth, and the fire has the single benefit of radiating warmth from the stone/brick artwork.

if you want to burn wood efficiently then an insert or dedicated wood stove is the way to go...you must live in southern pa. cause its already been cold here up north...

Don't turn the heat on so much and wear heavier clothing while you are inside.