Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Why do some (not all) American answerers here feel compelled to "correct" our British spelling?

I have had people try to correct my spelling on a number of questions, simply because they did not realise (not "realize") or want to acknowledge that we spell differently in England. I would never attempt to "correct" American spelling, even though I might arguably have more of a right to, since it's our language in the first place... Lol.

But seriously, why do you think they do it? Is it because they really don't know that British and American English have different words and spellings, or do they think the American spelling is more "correct?"

What do you think?

Favorite Answer

Keep your voice down. They think they speak and write English. That's why they select "All English Language Questions" instead of "US Questions Only" which would be in their own language. Now don't disillusion them or they'll sulk and invade another Middle Eastern country.

A famous person once said that Britains and Americans were a people separated only by a common language.

I am guessing that many of those compelled to "correct" others language are either compelled to correct apparent errors or they are just unaware of the differences in acceptable spelling and grammar by different peoples.

My feeling is that it is all okay as long as someone else can understand it (that includes abbreviations, slang and other country's grammar).

I think it's because there are some of us who are "grammar freaks" and feel a compulsive need to correct spellings they recognize as incorrect.

I correct my sibling's grammar all the time; it drives them bonkers. :)

There is no argument as whether one spelling is more "correct" than the other. It's not just your language, either - as though someone could honestly own a language - it's ours too. It's really just two different dialects and two different cultures.

And if all you Brits who commented previously knew anything, you'd know that both forms of English are derivations from older languages, like Latin.

I haven't got a bone to pick with England, I'm just saying . .

Source(s): A proud American Patriot.

The correct English spelling is too complicated for most Americans that's why they simplify everything,also a lot don't realise that English is a language that we have given them and not the other way round.

• . . .

We don't realize it a lot of the time. If it offends you then we don't do it on purpose. There are to many people that don't spell out the word. Like cuz, u, 4 sur. It is annoying but I will be more open minded to this.

I don't think that this is so important...looking at some of the replies, this is just being used for america bashing..Suggest some of you look at old english script from say, 150 years ago..a lot of words were spelt different

Because our way of spelling is alien to the way they spell.

eh, i dont care about picky spellers

if they have a problem with it,then thts all it is, THEIR problem

why do i or shoudl ic are tha tthey have only other peopels spellign to critisize

i just dont care enough to think about it to be honest

as a scot ive had it myself,

Sometimes people from the UK are really kind of stuck on themselves, it is our language all english speaking people not yours or mine, ours! you keep forgetting we are all still english speaking we started english just as you did most of us came from there!

The language is called ENGLISH.

It comes originally from ENGLAND.

We were using the language in one form or another,before America was "discovered"

Therefore we here in ENGLAND are correct,