Why do some (not all) American answerers here feel compelled to "correct" our British spelling?

I have had people try to correct my spelling on a number of questions, simply because they did not realise (not "realize") or want to acknowledge that we spell differently in England. I would never attempt to "correct" American spelling, even though I might arguably have more of a right to,... show more I have had people try to correct my spelling on a number of questions, simply because they did not realise (not "realize") or want to acknowledge that we spell differently in England. I would never attempt to "correct" American spelling, even though I might arguably have more of a right to, since it's our language in the first place... Lol.

But seriously, why do you think they do it? Is it because they really don't know that British and American English have different words and spellings, or do they think the American spelling is more "correct?"

What do you think?