Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Cawg R asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Any correlations to Kaczynski's concept of "oversocialization"?

I recently read Theodore Kaczynski's infamous anarcho-primitivist essay "Industrial Society and Its Future." I was intrigued by his concept of "oversocialization," where the drive to conform, whether innately or driven by outside stimuli, becomes a hindrance to effective personal development. I understand that this in Freudian terms would equate with an overactive and dominating superego. Are there any clinical terms for a condition such as this, or at least very similar? I'm not interested in any of the political contexts.

for reference: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Industrial_Society_a...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it seems as if it could be a form of paranoia, in terms of having an intense fear of disappointing others/standing out in some negative way/needing to impress others. but if you are talking about an innate or externally driven obsession (even though it is probably unconscious and the person doesn't know he or she does this) then it may be some form of social OCD, as opposed to physical rituals (instead of physical compulsions and obsessions, they are more broad and center around social concept/perceptions of others, and therefore manifest themselves in a wider range of physical action)

• roca
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Oversocialization

• 1 decade ago

|\/\/\/\/\/\/\/|

|________| look a crown : D

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.