Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

Changing my name... Yes or no?

I want to start a new life for myself and have a fresh start. I've always wanted to change my name.. and I'm going into the arts. I would like to change my name.Do you think this is unusual?

6 Answers

  • Tina
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    There are a few ways to change you name in the US:

    United States

    State laws can regulate name changes in the United States; still, they cannot altogether forbid common law name changes. Several specific federal court rulings have set precedents regarding both court decreed name changes and common law name changes (changing your name "at will").

    Informal methods of legal name change

    Assumed name

    The "open and notorious" use of a name is often sufficient to allow one to use an assumed name. In some jurisdictions, individuals may register trade names that are distinct from their legal names and are registered with their county clerks, secretaries of state, or other similar government authorities. Individuals, who wish to publish materials and not have the publications associated with them, may publish under pseudonyms; such a right is protected in the United States of America under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

    The usage method of name change

    A common law name (i.e. one assumed for a non-fraudulent purpose) is a legal name....unless the statute makes itself exclusive. Note that although a person may sue under a common law name (McKay, above), the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FR CP) have a higher standard and must use the 'real' information, allowing the case to be dismissed.

    Women often use an assumed name at marriage (In re Cruel, 226 N.W.2d 458; Davis v. Rios, 326 So.2d 226), a custom which started by using the name of the person with the most land, which was usually the male, but as women lost their rights and became simply part of their husband's identity, it made sense for them to use their husband's name (In re Natale, 527 S.W.2d 402).

    In California the usage method (changing it at will under common law) is sufficient to change ones name. Although it is federal law to allow this, it is not followed in all states.[citation needed] Some jurisdictions require that the new name be used exclusively, while others have no such requirement (e.g., Kreuter v US 201 F2d 33 (true name need not be abandoned), FL Statute 322.22 (driver's licenses in two names), Loser v. Plainfield, 128 N.W. 1101 (Iowa), Ludwinska v John Hancock 317 Pa 577 (may be used for just one non fraudulent transaction). Any fraudulent use or intent, such as changing one's name to the same name as another person's name, may invalidate this type of name change.

    Specifically in California, Code of Civil Procedure § 1279.5 and Family Code § 2082 regulate common law and court decreed name changes. Code of Civil Procedure § 1279.5 (a) reads, “Except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e), nothing in this title shall be construed to abrogate the common law right of any person to change his or her name.” Subdivisions b through e preclude one from changing their name by common law if they are in state prison, on probation, on parole, or been a convicted sex offender. If a person is not in any of these categories, then a common law name change is allowed. Family Code § 2082 also specifically states, “Nothing in this code shall be construed to abrogate the common law right of any person to change one's name.”

    Officially registering a name change

    A legal name change is merely the first step in the name-change process. One must officially register one's new name with the appropriate authorities whether the change was made as a result of a court order, marriage, divorce, adoption, or any of the other methods described above. The process includes notifying various government agencies, each of which may require legal proof of the name change and which may or may not charge a fee. Important government agencies to be notified include the social security office, Passport Office, Post Office, and one's local department of motor vehicles for a new driver's license. Additionally the new name must be registered with other institutions such as one’s employer, bank, doctor, mortgage, insurance and credit card companies. Online services are available to assist in this process either through direct legal assistance or automated form processing.

    Although state requirements differ, it is generally recommended to first register a new name with the social security office as some states’ motor-vehicle departments require updated social security cards to make changes; Arizona is one of these states.

    Personally, I do not recommend any of the above methods unless you are going to be a writer and need to publish under a synonym. Due to post 9/11 legislation,you will not be able get a shortened version of your name put on your Social Security or you drivers license unless it matches your divers license.

    Source(s): Legal Name Change In 2004 Extensive research on this topic. Wikipedia
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Nope.. People change their names all the times.. Celebrities,, Authors , Famous people use Stage names vs real names all the time. I also know several people that didn'tt like the name they were given by their parents so when they turned old enough.. changed it to what they wanted.

  • 5 years ago

    I do believe they went bust but i have a sneaky feeling that they are up and running again in a different name,watch the adverts on tv,a new car firm exactly like yes as just sprung up,how convenient

  • Unusual? No. It is very common. It is so easy to do, if you just change it and don't need to show I.D.

    If you want a legal name change, that can become complicated, what with having to notify social security and all the rest.

    Source(s): life
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    My daughter has changed her name twice. (The current one seems to "fit".) I've always wanted to change mine. But it's a lot ot work.

    If you're willing to go through the red tape (Social Security, IRS, Credit cards etc. etc.), put up with the temporary inconvenience of people not knowing who you are, lose connections to your past life and successes, AND you know what you would like your new name to be--go for it!

    Source(s): Personal experience
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    lol,do you think these freaking celebs are born with such cool names like Ice cube,TOM cruise,Lady gaga, and all the ''lil'' names.No its not unusual.and if i had to start a new life i will alter my name and last though last name is harder.good luck.

    Freaking Jack Black is not his name

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.