? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Is cannabidiol (CBD) illegal, scheduled, controlled under the Analogue Act, or otherwise restricted in the USA?

CBD is naturally found in the marijuana plant, though in very low quantities in most Western countries due to the desirability of producing high THC content, which cannot coexist with high CBD content. CBD has been shown to possess a multitude of therapeutic uses similar to THC, without the 'high'. Like THC, it has even been shown to selectively target cancer cells, eliminating them, while leaving surround healthy cells intact. CBD can be found in industrial hemp products, which by definition must possess very low THC levels while having at least double that in CBD levels, oftentimes many times more. Hempseed, hempseed oil, etc., all contain higher concentrations of CBD than THC, and are legally available for purchase in the US. However, industrial is not legally allowed to be grown within the US without a special DEA permit (which is never issued), except in a very small minority of states that have recently passed laws allowing the growing of industrial hemp. CBD can be synthesized in its pure form, and has tremendous medicinal potential. Is it legal???????????????

I think we all know THC is scheduled...don't use this question to rack up answer points or whatever.

Moreover, the question is not whether cannabinoids in general are scheduled or not, but rather the specific cannabinoid called cannabidiol. As has been said, there are a variety of different types of cannabinoids, this question is specifically targeted to cannabidiol (CBD).

Favorite Answer

Before I get into whether cannabinoids are illegal, I think I will educated this little before I make my argument. first off. Cannabinoids: The chemical definition encompasses a variety of distinct chemical classes: the classical cannabinoids structurally related to THC, the nonclassical cannabinoids, the aminoalkylindoles, the eicosanoids related to the endocannabinoids, 1,5-diarylpyrazoles, quinolines and arylsulphonamides and additional compounds that do not fall into these standard classes but bind to cannabinoid receptors.[1] The term cannabinoids also refers to a unique group of secondary metabolites found in the cannabis plant, which are responsible for the plant's peculiar pharmacological effects. Currently, there are three general types of cannabinoids: phytocannabinoids occur uniquely in the cannabis plant; endogenous cannabinoids are produced in the bodies of humans and other animals; and synthetic cannabinoids are similar compounds produced in a laboratory. Cannabis Sativa nonclassical Cannabinoid that send the message to the CB1 and CB2 is call Endocannabinoids.

Source(s): Wikipedia cannabinoids http://rickysbalmofgilead.com/research/

CBD, derived from hemp is now legal everywhere in the U.S. One of the points made in the court case argued that if CBD (which does not produce a "high" because of its negligible THC content) could not be extracted from hemp, then poppy seeds should be banned.

THC is classified as a schedule I & III controlled substance. Other schedule I substances include heroin, mescaline and MDMA (ecstasy).