What do Christians mean when they talk of "witnessing God"?

What does the term "witness" mean?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Steve
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It doesn't mean witness. It means pitch.

• 1 decade ago

witness?? Witnessing God can be, what it sound like. Experiencing God. Having a life-changing experience, our pastor saw and angel just before going to beat up this christian guy AGAIN with a shoe, which, I guess, is a HUGE insult in Pakistan, where he comes from. Witnessing God could also be talking about God, being a witness to what has happened and what could happen according to the bible.

• Karl
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

My definitions and understanding:

Witness: someone who saw something that happened. So these are people that have seen God do things for them and/or someone else.

Only those who know God can do this, for it is a God thing. But after we know God we can see him working on others and doing other things that God does as well.

We always say, God did it. Well we see this to be true and if you do not know God you can not understand it. The world says seeing is believing, God says you must believe he is then you will see him. Totally opposite from one another.

So we can see things God does for others and be a witness to that.

take care and hope this helps some.

• 1 decade ago

To witness does not have to mean to have seen God, literally. It can also mean to stand as a witness, as in a court of law, to give a testimony about what you have come to know.

To tell others what you have seen and understood in the Bible about God, His purpose of mankind, what He will do in the future, how what He teaches can help us in our lives for example.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the noun rendered “witness” (‛edh) is derived from a verb (‛udh) meaning “return” or “repeat, do again.” Regarding the noun (‛edh), the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament says: “A witness is one, who by reiteration, emphatically affirms his testimony. The word [‛edh] is at home in the language of the court.” A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the Hebrew Language for Readers of English adds: “The orig[inal] meaning [of the verb ‛udh] prob[ably] was ‘he said repeatedly and forcefully.’”

The rendering “witnesses” at Hebrews 12:1 comes from the Greek word mar′tys. According to Wuest’s Word Studies From the Greek New Testament, this word denotes “one who testifies, or can testify, to what he has seen or heard or knows by any other means.” Christian Words, by Nigel Turner, says that the word means one who speaks “from personal experience . . . , and from conviction about truths and views.”

This was shown in the eighth century B.C.E., when God’s prophet recorded at Isaiah 43:8-28 what is, in effect, a court case between Jehovah and idol-gods. In it God’s people Israel were on one side, and the worldly nations on the other. Jehovah challenged the false gods of the nations to tell “the first things,” to prophesy accurately. Not one could do so. Turning to his people, Jehovah said: “You are my witnesses . . . and I am God.” The nations could not prove that their gods existed ahead of Jehovah or that they could prophesy. But Jehovah foretold Babylon’s ruin and the release of his captive people.

• 1 decade ago

Do you mean witnessing FOR God? If so, by that I mean telling others my personal story of how (a) Jesus saved me and, therefore, my sins have been forgiven and (b) my life and others' have been changed for the better because of Jesus' influence.

• 1 decade ago

probably like witnessing wind (just the effects of God)

The Bible says the unrighteous cannot look into the face of God, that's everybody on earth so........

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To spout rehearsed nonsense at you while you're trying to look cool smoking in front of the coffee shop.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Preach the Gospel of Christ.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.