whats the difference between rare and medium rare in a steak?

when we go to a resturaunt that serves those kind of steaks and i keep hearing this "how would you like your steak, rare or medium rare?" and if im guessing it has to do with the pinkness on the steak. does anyone know about this? also what about the eggs, i hear if you want the eggs over-easy but i dont know what it means to that? thanks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Rare is a cold red center...raw center pretty much, just brown on the outside. Medium rare is a warm, bloody center. Over easy eggs are fried eggs cooked just enough to be done with the yolk still intact.

Source(s): Cook for 15 years
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Medium rare meat is slightly more cooked than rare:

Rare - (120°F core temp) The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is red and slightly warm.

Medium rare - (145°F degrees core temp) The steak will have a fully red, warm center. Unless specified otherwise, upscale steakhouses will generally cook to at least this level.

Source(s): wikipedia
  • 1 decade ago

A rare steak has a warm, red center. A medium rare steak has a hot, pink center.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the difference between a rare and medium rare might seem minimal but it can offset the kitchen if there is a "re-fire"...

Rare: Cool or warm red center. It's nearly like raw meat, but obviously cooked on the outside

Medium rare: Warm and mostly pink to red center. Firm on the outside, soft and juicy on the inside.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

They are levels of cooking steak.

You have to wipe its' bottom and serve it= blue

Lots of blood running= rare

Not so much blood= medium rare

No blood = medium

Ruined = medium to well done

Charcoal/ shoe leather= well done.

Over easy eggs is an American term for flipping the eggs over whilst frying.

• 1 decade ago

rare steak is red and cool center. md. rare is pink and warm center.

eggs over easy is fried eggs that have been flipped over just for a moment (after cooking on one side) the yolk is still runny.

• Willie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The rare the steak is the less cooked it is and more tender and pink also more bloodier it will be i like mine med well its still tender and threes very little pink

Source(s): life 20 years eating out
  • 1 decade ago

Rare steak- lots of pink in the middle of it.

med. rare- reddish pink center, but more done than a rare steak.

• 1 decade ago

There, they have said it but i prefer my meat cooked no blood in the centre. If you want it like the you have to tell them medium-well, or well done! No raw meat for me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.