Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What is it about religion that makes individuals just go crazy?

Like kill innocent people. Based on all the facts wouldn't it be prudent to just end religion as we know it. How many agnostics, atheists or generally secular individuals do you know of that strap explosives to themselves?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Religion isn't the problem -- it's the human condition allowing one to sacrifice all reason for blind belief that seems to be the indicator of borderline insanity.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

-- Stephen Roberts

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."

-- Chapman Cohen

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw

You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?"

-- Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith

"It is said that men may not be the dreams of the Gods, but rather that the Gods are the dreams of men." - Carl Sagan

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government." - Thomas Jefferson

"In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people." - James Madison

" The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." - John Adams

• 1 decade ago

The Columbine Shooters, But They Took Explosives To The School And Shot It Up So I'm Not Sure If That Counts.

Most Of Those People Who Go Crazy Are Those Who Blindly Follow, Which Leads To A Lot Of Problems.

Could It Be That This Is Why Jesus Taught Against It?

Source(s): Im Not Crazy. And Im Catholic.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've seen greed and the lust for money, status, and power have a similar effect. Religion based on Existential Theory has the potential to be good, or bad, depending on the nature of it's followers and the teachings of the religion itself. Humans must have a belief system, remember the Communists wanted adulation of the state and communism to replace Russian Orthodox Christianity. Any belief system that concerns itself with existential theory is "religion" at least in the making. Thus Atheism is a psuedo-Religion based on non-existential theory and already I have heard self described Atheists promoting the systematic Murder/Extermination of Christians. Meaning, the Religion of Atheism has the potential for violence and murder against "Non-Believers"

Atheists make the claim that wars are all fought over religion, this isn't true wars are about Economics and Resources, political power...often the despots invoke religion during these conflict to rationalize and whip the masses into a frenzy.

• 1 decade ago

good question. My opion is religion is like politics you either have to believe or you are labeled athiest or some other crazy name. I think some of the preachers in this country push thier followers into this situation by telling them that religion is the only way to live, Our country is forgetting that we are based on freedom before religion. The politicians see votes so they don't care as long as they can win an election.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Religion kills no one. It is man's choice to fight and kill in the name of religion.

So many come here and bash religion and say how hateful it is, yet those who claim this are outwardly attacking strangers they do not even know here at Y/A over politics. Just look at the first 10 questions listed and one can see it is someone looking for an argument.

People who are of a particular faith are not God. Man is not perfect. Religious people have never claimed to be free of sin, or to be perfect people.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

candy pea... background has shown the alternative of what your asserting to be authentic. Fred Phelps and Charles Manson are no longer Christians. James Dobson is a Christians and an exceedingly advantageous one at that.. The deaths as a effect of atheistic governments or wars as a effect of them out huge form non secular deaths 5-a million. the implications of societies that have moved far off from thought in God have been tragic and devastating... because of the fact the founding of the rustic we've continued on a direction shifting ever further far off from God on a similar time as our issues have bigger. If faith is the reason in the back of those issues then why on the grounds that shifting far off from God have issues declined particularly then gotten greater desirable ? issues could desire to be getting greater desirable if what you're are asserting is authentic no longer worse..... wish that helped....God bless you !

• 1 decade ago

Stalin was atheist and has claims of as high as 30 million people due to him alone, and Hitler was a closet atheist as stated by some of his closest advisors killed up to 17 million people.

Its not religion that makes people crazy its power.

• 1 decade ago

I don't want to take up for Muslims but there are just many murders performed by agnostics and atheists as religious fanatics....example in Detroit, LA, Memphis, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, Cleveland....there are killings every night...

They just don't get the publicity that these killings do...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oh yeah like the Columbine shooters?

You can't blame it on religion in general, though I admit that some parts of Islamic stuff is obviously sketchy.

I know special operations military guys who are dedicated Christians. Oh but they must be "weak minded" right? They must be crazy and kill innocent people right?

How many Christians, Buddhists, Jews strap bombs to themselves? It's only Muslims, don't try to shift it on everybody.

Source(s): "Not all Muslims are terrorists, but the terrorists are Muslim."
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1. It's not religion. It's just islam.

2. It's proof that other religions really are better than islam, and superior to islam.

3. It's proof that islam isn't really even worthy of being dignified being called a legitimate religion -- it isn't. islam is just a troglyditic murder cult for ignorant, brutal savages.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.