How could someone steal my debit card number WITHOUT physically having my card?

About 2 weeks ago, I had a sugar craving and decided to go to Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and grab a doughnut. Well, I hand over my debit card to pay for it--- and the cashier comes back to the window and says "I'm sorry; your card's been (shushed voice) .. declined." I tell her "Can you try... show more About 2 weeks ago, I had a sugar craving and decided to go to Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and grab a doughnut. Well, I hand over my debit card to pay for it--- and the cashier comes back to the window and says "I'm sorry; your card's been (shushed voice) .. declined." I tell her "Can you try again? I literally just got gas before coming here..." Once again, DECLINED.

I get home, call my bank and the man tells me he must transfer me to someone above him. Well, now a female supervisor is on the phone and asks me "OK, Ms. M, I just need to ask you a few questions for verification: Did you get gas at Exxon on October 24th?" "Yes." .... "Did you shop at Macy*s yesterday?" "Yes.".... "Have you made any out of town purchases?" ....... "No." "Well, that's the problem.. .someone tried to withdraw $270 and then $68 in Canada." How the hell?????!

Thank God no money was taken out; I was sent a new debit card, but people--- please explain to me the ways someone can do this!! I'm still thinking about it, because I do use my debit a lot-- my mom advised me to now use it as credit and even take out cash from the actual bank (inside, not the ATM machine) isntead of using my card..

Once again, how could this happen??
1 answer 1