When lost should you follow a river upstream or downstream?

I forgot from Girl Scouts and my son asked me this yesterday and my brain froze.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • RR
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Downstream.

If you go upstream it will get narrower and steeper and you may not meet any habitation.

If you go downstream it will get flatter and you will almost certainly meet habitation,

• Login to reply the answers
  • carina
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I totally agree with Don ... if you look around the world you will find the vast majority of inhabited areas are in lowland areas, mostly near the coast ... which is why the possibility of rising sea levels is such a threat to us ... so if you followed the river upstream you would more often than not be heading away from civilisation, whereas if you went downstream you would on average be heading towards it

• Don M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you follow it upstream, you will head uphill, possibly to colder areas and generally away from civilization.

If you follow it downstream, eventually you'll get to a point where either two rivers / creeks / streams meet, or to a delta, which in many cases is where cities / towns are built (usually because the land is more fertile there).

I hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

Always downstream. But, at some point you are going to have to decide which side of the river to be on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Always taught in the army you dont follow rivers they take the shortest rout down ie cliff waterfalls slippery and when they do flatten out boggie and swampy

• 3 years ago

Lots of valid replies already for this question

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

It is an excellent question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.