Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

what do you think the stereotypes of hair colours in books?

Favorite Answer

Cheap tricks, mostly.... maybe?

Most of that has been used well, or over-used, and a lot in the pulp fiction genre.

Also, you take the risk of distancing or offending your readers.

Time to mix it up, pull some surprises out of the hat.... be creative.

Example 1: Not all scary or old people have white hair (Steve Martin... I know, I'm showing my age, but he started out with white hair in the 70's).

Example 2: Sometimes the stereotype is actually historical, like Moulin Rouge, French women in the theatre DID die their hair red... it was the rage then.

I think a "true" character is more meaningful and people tend to remember them no matter what their attributes.... But what about "classic" characters; what about Little Orphan Annie, Raggedy Anne, Pipi Longstocking, Anne of Greene Gables.... Now none of these redheads may have had a fiery temper, but some of them did... and STILL they are lovable and remembered, again and again by generations..... Dolls (and toys), movies, plays, musicals, etc.

It's not all bad.... with thought and care, thoughtful and caring characters can be created, and have been created, with a few stereo-typical attributes tossed into the mix.

Legally Blonde? (two movies...)

Source(s): P.S. A few weeks ago I got a new style of eye glasses... and I got several comments, "Wow, they make you look so intelligent!" Probably compliments. But my thought was, "As apposed to what?" Back hand? My own parinoid mind?
  • rooker

nicely that is captivating seen that blondes are obvious as captivating, nicely-natured, and cute, purple-heads are meant to be risky-tempered misfits, and brunettes are the uninteresting ones who're reliable and innovative. would not make lots adventure, and thanks to this the stereotypes ought to be became on their heads. Make an aggravated, impulsive blonde, or a sought after, out-going brunette. They DO exist, that is only authors stumble on it extra straightforward to tell personalities with appearances then with authentic description and individual interaction. that is a short-cut back, I wager. yet human beings do no longer seem stereotypes in quite-existence they often shoudln't be stereotypes in literature.