Does the moon revolve around the earth....? Please help me?

Does the moon revolve around the earth in the same direction that the Earth rotates around its own axis, or the opposite direction? Please be as precise as possible. Thanks

Favorite Answer

The most correct answer is no. Both the moon and the earth rotate about their common center of mass.

I gather from the single objection to my answer that somebody out there does not understand physics, particularly angular momentum.

Yes. It is believed that the moon was a planetary mass that collided with the earth in a glancing blow and started the earths rotation. At the same time this allowed earth to capture the moon in it's gravity well.

It takes 28 days for the moon to revolve around the earth and, strangely enough, 28 days to rotate on it's axis, which is why we always see the same face of the moon.

There are many sites to reference but if any sphere is hit in a glancing blow it will start a rotation in the direction the other object was traveling when they collided.

• Alexis

I do believe so, yes.

They both rotate and revolve counterclockwise.

Addendum: Bill - "Yes. It is believed that the moon was a planetary mass that collided with the earth in a glancing blow and started the earths rotation. At the same time this allowed earth to capture the moon in it's gravity well."

Actually, the mass that collided with Earth melded with it. The moon was formed from debris from the Earth that accreted in orbit.

scottsdalehigh64 - "The most correct answer is no. Both the moon and the earth rotate about their common center of mass."

That's technically correct, but then, the same can be said for any gravitationally-bound system. Considering the ratio of the masses of the Earth and Moon, though, for all intensive porpoises, the Moon can be viewed as revolving around the Earth.

In any case, the Earth and the Moon both rotate counterclockwise, and they both revolve counterclockwise.

Yes the moon revolves around earth in the same direction that the earth rotates: from west to east.

The moon APPEARS to revolve around the earth from the point of view of the earth

From the pov north above the solar system

BOTH the earth and moon are in an orbit about the sun

the moon has an "s" shaped orbit. sometimes ahead of and sometimes behind the earth orbit

Picture a circular race track with two cars one larger with an almost steady speed and a smaller on that speeds up and slows down, passing on one side and falling back on the other side of the big car

from the big car it looks like the little one is circling the big one

from the stands the little one is driving in a long "s" around the track.

(they never taught that in basic astronomy)

Source(s): physics guy (thinker)

Hi Goodfell, Yes,..the moon revolves around the Earth, in about every 28 days, just like the Earth revolves around the Sun every 365 days, & If you could go to the North pole, & then rise up high enough to look down on the whole solar system, then you would see all of the planets going around the Sun, in counter clockwise circles, & all of the moons, of all the planets going around their planets in a counter clockwise direction, & all of the planets & moons would be spinning ,on their axis in a counter clockwise direction,...Note, I read someplace that Venus spins in a clockwise direction,on it's axis & I think, that I read,that somewhere, Mars I thimk, that there is 1 moon s that revolves clockwise,..around it's planet,..But I am not sure,..

Source(s): Common knowledge,..

Yes the moon revolves around the Earth at the same direction that Earth is. The moon completes its revolution about every month.

We always see the same side of the moon.

Hope I helped!!!!!!!!!!

the moon revolves around the earth and always facing on the same side..

Crazy people said that in the non visible side of the moon rich people live in big buildings... LOL

the moon stays fixed, and the earth spins, while orbiting the sun