promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

what is american food?

someone one here said they liked american food. what is that? pizza? or it that italian? burgers maybe. hot dogs? or is that german?

do we even have our own food and if so what is it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

America is a big place

now as a Canadian I mostly think of the food of the American south as American food, because in the north they eat like we do.

the two styles that stand out to me are barbeque and Cajun

barbeque in this context mean cooked over a hardwood burning fire at low temperatures, the smoke penetrates the meat imparting flavour and tenderizing the meat. usually the meat is either covered in a dry rub of salt sugar and spices, or in a sweat and spicy sauce. a similar sauce is usually served with it.

tougher parts of the animal are usually used. ribs are commonly served whole, pork shoulder is usually pulled apart with forks and is served in a bun (a pulled pork sandwich), beef brisket is usually sliced and served on a bun.

BBQ sauce varies greatly from region to region, Alabama white sauce is mayonnaise with some vinegar and spices added, Kentucky sauce is tomato biased, the Carolinas use mustard biased sauces

Cajun food comes primarily from the Acadians, a group of French speaking people who would not swear allegiance to the British crown once the French where defeated in what is now Canada. Cajun food is known for its spiciness, but it's usually a milder heat then most people think. the most famous Cajun dish is gumbo; a stew made from okra, an extremely dark roux, tomatoes, peppers and "anything that walks, crawls, swims, flys, or slithers"

California has a lot of hippies, that means a lot of veganism, raw foodism, and other forms of mental retardation.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Burgers and hot dogs are American, though they're based on German foods. Americans added the buns.

Pizza is from Italy, but was made great by immigrants in New York.... I still wouldn't call it American.

Large steaks, pork barbecue, fried chicken, french fries... these things are very American.

If you go to an "American" restaurant, an example would be Applebee's or TGIFridays (although, believe it or not, there are good American restaurants too).

• 1 decade ago

There isn't much. Pizza and hamburgers and hot dogs are all European. The US DOES have Smithfield style hams. There are many berries indigenous to the US, as well as tomatoes, maize, and potatoes, although most dishes with these items were developed out of the area and re-imported.

The concept of fast food is American. The concept of quantity being better than quality is also American, and that's really just about it.

• A genuine American dish would be "Succotash" taught to the Colonials by the American natives that greeted them. It essentially consists of lima beans and corn. I can't ever remember not seeing it around. "Cornbread" and "flap jacks" are distinctly American, as are "grits" and "hominy."

Pecan pie is distinctly American, as is "Shoo-fly pie."

All common foods until American food became homogenized by the ethnic diversity present.

I disagree that "Fast Food" is an American invention. That's what the French use "Bistros" for and what the Germans called "Schnell Imbiß."

Our contribution in this realm is portions of grossly awful food, so big it takes two hands to hold, sold to us via giant propaganda mechanisms on television and radio. I feel like a Soviet sometimes. Americans are literally told that it "tastes good," when most have to visit a toilet 30" after dining on it.

Think "clinical sized portions" people, and you will not have a weight problem. Merely dividing your portion in half will suffice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Because America is so Cosmopolitan they can take anything and call it American.

Buffalo would be an original(bison)food. Fish would be original but lots of Asian /European influence.Corn originated in the Americas

Burgers German(ham burg),Hot dogs European, although Frankfurters are definitely from Frankfurt Germany.. Pizza Italian.

Even apple pie was from a French recipe.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I'd say American food is the less-objectionable Western European foods.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

turkey is definitely american, the bird is native to north america. burgers and hotdogs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.