Internet question - I live in a back house?

I rent out a back house and don't have a home line- I want Internet for some online classes-

I have a phone Jack but no active line and don't need or want it- I am 24 and mostly use my cell-

is there a way to get high speed Internet for a resonable price with out having to get a home phone line?

I am in southern California - I am just looking for 1.5 downlaod speed

• Terry
    Favorite Answer

It depends on what is offered in your area, and what you consider a reasonable price. The primary broadband options generally available include:

DSL. You need to get the line from the phone company, but they may offer it without voice service. You will probably have the greatest variety of offerings for different speeds and ISPs with this option.

Cable. Does not require TV service, at least not where I am. Likely to only have one or two service tiers (speed/price packages).

Cell service. If you have a cell phone (I assume you do) check with your carrier for their data services. You will probably have to buy a modem (usually USB). You will be able to use this service about anywhere that you can get cell phone service.

Satellite. You need to install a small dish with a clear view of the southern horizon (well, a little above the horizon actually). Probably the highest initial cost.

In all cases, you will have to contact the carriers in your area to find out what is offered. Services and prices vary by location, and they are the only ones with definitive answers.

Source(s): Computer consultant. http://www.tb-computing.com

What about Wifi - Does anyone else in your neighborhood have a wireless network setup? If so you can jump on there for free. If they have it password protected then just ask them if you can share it with them. They will need to give you the password.

You must have wifi capabilities on your computer or laptop. Some local libraries and local establishments such as coffee houses have free wifi and that is a great place to start.

I hope this helps.

Source(s): I have 20 years experience working with computers and if you wish to know more about me or perhaps you need a Web Designer you can check out my website at http://www.computertutorservice.com

Maybe, check your local internet providers for an accurate answer!

Try looking for a satellite internet provider.

That's the best I can offer you ^_^