Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 1 decade ago

What did Jane Fonda do to be called a 'traitor'?

Sorry I don't live in America and Im 15 so i wouldn't know lol. Can somebody explain to me what she did?

I live In England and some people were discussing it today

Favorite Answer

Opposition to Vietnam War

In April 1970, Fred Gardner, Fonda and Donald Sutherland formed the FTA tour ("Free The Army", a play on the troop expression "**** The Army"), an anti-war road show designed as an answer to Bob Hope's USO tour. The tour, referred to as "political vaudeville" by Fonda, visited military towns along the West Coast, with the goal of establishing a dialogue with soldiers about their upcoming deployments to Vietnam. The dialogue was made into a movie (F.T.A.) that contained strong, frank criticism of the war by service men and women. It was released in 1972.

In the same year, Fonda spoke out against the war at a rally organized by Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW) in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. She offered to help raise funds for VVAW, and, for her efforts, was rewarded with the title of Honorary National Coordinator. On November 3, 1970, Fonda started a tour of college campuses on which she raised funds for the organization. As noted by the New York Times, Fonda was a "major patron" of the VVAW. In a 1970 address at Michigan State University Fonda gave a speech saying; "I would think that if you understood what Communism was, you would hope, you would pray on your knees, that we would someday become communists."

"Hanoi Jane"

Fonda visited Hanoi in July 1972. Among other statements, she repeated the North Vietnamese claim that the United States had been deliberately targeting the dike system along the Red River stating that “I believe in my heart, profoundly, that the dikes are being bombed on purpose”. Columnist Joseph Kraft, who was also touring North Vietnam, believed that the damage to the dikes was incidental and was being used as propaganda by Hanoi, and that if the U.S. Air Force were "truly going after the dikes, it would do so in a methodical, not a harum-scarum way."

In North Vietnam, Fonda was photographed seated on an anti-aircraft battery. In her 2005 autobiography, she writes that she was manipulated into sitting on the battery, and was immediately horrified at the implications of the pictures

During this visit she also visited American prisoners of war (POWs), and brought back messages from them to their families. When cases of torture began to emerge among POWs returning to the United States, Fonda called the returning POWs "hypocrites and liars." She added, "These were not men who had been tortured. These were not men who had been starved. These were not men who had been brainwashed." On the subject of torture in general, Fonda told The New York Times in 1973, "I'm quite sure that there were incidents of torture... but the pilots who were saying it was the policy of the Vietnamese and that it was systematic, I believe that's a lie."

The POW camp visits also led to persistent stories—decades later circulated widely on the Internet and via email—that the POWs she met had spat on her, or attempted to sneak notes to her which she had then reported to the North Vietnamese, leading to further abuse. However, a study by Snopes.com, which interviewed many of the alleged victims, found these allegations to be false.

In 1972, Fonda helped fund and organize the Indochina Peace Campaign. It continued to mobilize antiwar activists across the nation after the 1973 Paris Peace Agreement, through 1975, when the United States withdrew from Vietnam.

In a 1988 interview with Barbara Walters, Fonda admitted to former American POWs and their families that she had some regrets, stating:

"I would like to say something, not just to Vietnam veterans in New England, but to men who were in Vietnam, who I hurt, or whose pain I caused to deepen because of things that I said or did. I was trying to help end the killing and the war, but there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it and I'm very sorry that I hurt them. And I want to apologize to them and their families. [...] I will go to my grave regretting the photograph of me in an anti-aircraft gun, which looks like I was trying to shoot at American planes. It hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could possibly have done. It was just thoughtless..."

Source(s): Wiki
  • Rae

Why? Because it's a complicated issue and many people still label Fonda a traitor but others look at her like someone who helped bring about the ending of an unjust war. Button line is you can't hold a soldier responsible for what they do on orders but you can hold a person to account for what they do as a private citizen. She was never charged in a court with treason because we were not in a declared war so it wouldn't have held up.

• raub

What Did Jane Fonda Do

• Heidi

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/WoObH

I'm with you. And Burke37 doesn't know what war is, evidently. The last time the USA was at WAR was during WWII. Our mission in Vietnam did not involve a declaration of war.

Hard to argue "rejected.." statements of fact!

It is the perception of those facts that the American people considered Ms. Fonda as a Treasonous person!

Although my personal memories of the time suggested that Fonda was against the war, she was visiting as a good will gesture! To try to help! If she was used a pawn, by either side, it was unknowingly!

I don't understand that one either. Let America tell it, everyone is a traitor but the politicians.

Her movies suck