WHat is down syndrome?

ok so about a week ago, my friend told me he had down syndrome. i had no idea what that ment so i asked him. he told me that it means he id always depressed and sad. i searched t up on the internet and it says nothing about being depresed!! it said that the bodys are basicaly disformed and stuff!! what does it REALLY mean???

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, Down syndrome is also known as trisomy 21.Actually Down syndrome is a condition in which extra genetic material causes delays in the way a child develops, both mentally and physically.The physical features and medical problems associated with Down syndrome can vary widely from child to child.

And Down syndrome can't be prevented, it can be detected before a child is born.The health problems that can go along with DS can be treated, and there are many resources within communities to help kids and their families who are living with the condition.

CAUSES OF DS:

At the time of conception a baby inherits genetic information from its parents in the form of 46 chromosomes: 23 from the mother and 23 from the father. In most cases of Down syndrome, a child gets an extra chromosome 21 — for a total of 47 chromosomes instead of 46. It's this extra genetic material that causes the physical features and developmental delays associated with DS.

• 1 decade ago

Down syndrome can be when there are some deformities, but individuals with it tend to have a lower than average cognitive ability.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.