Jack Lapidus asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

How good are black panther skateboard bearings and does the abec rating mean how fast the bearings can go?

I came up with enough money to buy some of these bearings. So I want to know if they're super fast and whatnot. Or should I just go ahead and buy bones reds? I have those, but I wanted to try out the black panthers.

Also, does the abec rating matter how fast it goes? Because I just recently bought a skateboard that came with abec 3 bearings (it doesn't say what brand), but it only spins for 2 seconds even after I loosened the bolts on the wheels. And I even put some speed cream and it only spins for about 5 seconds. So do all abec 3 bearings spin like that? Or was I just ripped off with a cheapo bearing?

Best Answer

ABEC ratings are standards for precision tolerances in bearings (something like .001 cm inaccuracies and such.) for really high-RPM applications like industrial machinery. For us, our wheels spin at almost molasses speed compared to those machines, and so ABEC means nothing.

What materials a bearing is made of (different quality steels stay in good rolling shape for different times.) makes more difference than most other factors. Another thing is lube. A well-maintained bearing with a light oil lube will be faster than a bearing packed in grease.

Also, how long bearings spin on the wheel is irrelevant, because bearings behave very differently when your ~130 lBs are acting on them. That being said, if the bearings came with your skateboard, they're probably not all that great, unless you custom ordered the parts for the board.

To give you an easy answer, Bones Reds are tried and true, because they're high quality and will last you a long time if you clean and lube them properly (that's a whole 'nother question's worth though, so read up on it.)

There is no one bearing brand that is that much awesometasticker than the others, but there are cheap brands that are that much worse than the others (big difference.) Pretty much it's Bones, Mini-Logo, Rush, and a few other big-name guys.

Here's some more detailed information about the ABEC rating system. http://www.lushlongboards.com/workshop/abec-rating...

Skate safe.

Source(s): silverfishlongboarding.com lushlongboards.com

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Also, does the abec rating matter how fast it goes? Because I just recently...

Source(s): good black panther skateboard bearings abec rating fast bearings go: https://biturl.im/DUCld

I've been using Black Panther Swiss bearings in a couple boards for a few years. They have been reliable and give good speed, enough to do grinds in the 9ft end of the pool.

The ABEC rating has little to do with speed. It only relates to tolerances in manufacture and use in high speed equipment. It has nothing to do with the suitability of a bearing for skateboarding. This is why most high-end bearings are not ABEC rated, as they are designed specifically for skateboards.

• pina

Black Panther Bearings

I've nvr used a set of berrings tht weren't shortys black panthers. I use the red abec 7s. And yes, the higher the abec the faster the speed. I have been sk8ing for like 5-6 years and I've ska8ed other peoples decks with like Swiss bones and luckys and stuff but shortys r my favorite. And I would nvr recomend buying an abec 9 berring, 7 is much more than enough, 5 can even do u right.