Any information about schools in Somalia?

I'm doing a project in my math class and am having trouble finding information

need to know:

-length of school day

-# of days per year

-student/teacher ratio

-cost to go to school?

-graduation rates for high school and college

-how many go to high school and college

-what does a 15 year old learn in math class (curriculum and instruction)

-connection to other countries

-government involvement

-anything extra

Please send sources of information on education there, thanks!

Best Answer

-length of school day

Our school and all other schools in Somalia the first semester starts 01/august/yearly and ends the last days of December, but the second semester starts 01/February/yearly and ends the last days of June. Therefore, the days are approximately 270 days…every year. Furthermore, Friday is the only holiday (free) in schools...

-# of days per year

at 7:30am up to 12:45 pm (Saturdays to Wednesdays), 7:30 am up to 10:00 am (Thursdays).

-student/teacher ratio

Teacher/student ratio is 1:10 in secondary schools, 1:23 in intermediate schools and 1:36 in primary schools...

-cost to go to school?

@ Lulu… it is not free totally! Depends on, the small cities are cheaper than the big cities, however the average to go to school is 5-15$...

45-55% graduated high schools and 20-30% graduated collages in the 20 biggest cities in Somalia. I do not know more about the small town…

-how many go to high school and college

80-90% goes to high schools and 25-30% goes to colleges and universities…

When I was 15 years old, I was form three (11) and studied Core Maths For GCE A Level in Somalia…

-connection to other countries

Connection to other countries! Do you mean the relationship between Somalia and other countries…? There is no relationship between Somalia and other countries in the world because as you know, there is no central government in Somalia…

-Government involvement

Somalia has interims government led by President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed and Prime Minister Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke…

Unfortunately, the government of Somalia controlled only few blocks (two districts) in the Somali capital Mogadishu…

There powerful insurgents in Somalia like Shabab and Hizbul Islam vowed they will overthrow the government of Somalia because they had power over south and central Somalia…

-anything extra

There is no Somali piracy (totally) in the Somali coastlines, what the world named Somali pirates are Somali coastguards for the reason that they are defending our waters from illegal fishing and dumping of toxic wastes by western ships and others…

Before I go, the last time I visited Somalia was two years before, but I finished my school in Somalia like primary, intermediate, secondary schools and some colleges with Egyptian, Ugandan, Kenyan and Somali teachers… therefore, do not hesitate to ask me questions about the education in Somalia…

Source(s): Somali

Wow, that's a hard topic for a project. There's next to no resource on this. lol I asked my mother who went to school in the 1960s-80s so things might be a little different today but probably not by much. Sorry.

-length of school day

School is from 8 am - 2 pm. Students go to school days a week and 8 am - 12 pm on Thursdays. Fridays are off.

-# of days per year

Not too sure about today, I think it's changed but four months out of the school year were off, and school's off on Eid (Eid is twice a year).

-student/teacher ratio

It depends on the population density of the area that the school is located and on the number of teachers available. So it differs each generation and by each city.

-cost to go to school?

It's free. Even university but there are not many universities. People from small towns or villages often have to move to bigger cities for high school and then to certain cities for university.

I don't think there's any source that provides this information, sorry. Not so high for women, it's mainly men that even go to high school and college. Girls in elementary school might miss some school as they might stay home some days to help with household chores, the animals (if the family owns livestock), etc.

-how many go to high school and college

I don't think there's any place where you can find an approximate number for this.

Unlike school's here, people of different ages can be in a class together. The grade or level a person is in at school does not depend at all on their age but on their own personal level of understanding of the curriculum. It really varies. My mother finished high school before she turned 15 as she skipped many levels.

-connection to other countries

There are some teachers from other countries that teach in Somalia (or at least used to before the war). During the time of colonization (before independence in 1960s), the country that colonized that specific region affected education there. So in the region where my parents grew up, it was Italy. So Italian was taught in schools. Egypt also affected Somalia's education in some ways as some teachers were Egyptian. However my mother went to school after independence so the influence of other nations were gone yet there were still some Egyptian teachers in Somalia.

-government involvement

Somalia's government funds the schools. The money is not gained through taxes as there are no taxes but the government does (or at least did) gain money through government owned businesses.

-anything extra

Nope.

Yes, I would write about Fatima from ANTM. She is someone today's youth can relate to and have knowledge of and that will hold their interest.